Thread: Series 3 reverse light switch

Default Series 3 reverse light switch

Anyone ever see a switch setup like this on a Series 3? First picture shows the switch in place the second with the switch removed but the mounting bracket still in place. The mounting bracket is attached using the bolts that hold the plates that stop the selector seals being pushed out (I think that's their purpose).

In this case only the lower bolt was there and was a pain in the neck to get at.

I've always had a bad oil leak from the selector rod seals maybe this explains some of it.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1739.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	12394   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1735.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	12393  

Sorry the pictures are rotated 90 degrees and are in the wrong order. #2 shows switch in place. #1 shows bracket

Mike

What is your gearbox number out of curiosity? Oddly, my gearbox had the same front piece. The stopper that curved out to contact the switch in reverse. But no other sign of the rest of the switch/parts. My truck has no reverse lights - never did (68)... so thinking it was a transplant and someone left that part on the reverse lever.
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Gearbox number is 90132941 Suffix A. It is the original gearbox.
    I found some other information in the "Land Rover Parts Catalog Supplement For Series IIA & Series III 88 To U.S.A Specification" document. In the section on the Gearbox Assembly it list the complete gearbox assembly for the IIA (from vehicle Suffix F with gearbox suffix E onwards as Part number 591438 and for the Series 3 576730. It implies that for all of these boxes the reverse light assembly would be fitted. In addition to fixings it lists:

576525 - Striker Arm for reverse light switch
    516101 - bracket for reverse light switch
    503347 - reverse light switch

It does not provide a diagram of the assembly.

The reverse light switch is a Lucas switch. The only other reference I can find to these part numbers was on the darebrittania website but it doesn't provide any details such as picture or price or even if it is still available.

Mike

Stay away from Darebrittania...just a friendly FYI.