Thread: Tightness fit in a clutch slave cylinder

Default Tightness fit in a clutch slave cylinder

I discovered that the flexible hose in the clutch hydraulic system was rotten and leaking. I decided I might as well re-build the slave cylinder as well, which seemed fine. I ordered the hose and rebuild kit from our Noble Sponsors. I cleaned out the Girling cylinder, gave it a light radial buffing inside with very fine steel wool wet with brake fluid even though it seemed smooth, rinsed it with dot 4 fluid, cleaned the bright-looking piston and put on the new piston seal. After re-attaching the coil spring on the piston, I eased it into the cylinder. The seal seems very tight. Is that normal? I assumed the coil spring should be able to push the piston back to the retaining clip, or am I wrong in that? This is the first slave cylinder I've re-built. Maybe tight is good.

I think tight would be good.