Thread: Clutch slave cylinder pushrod

Default Clutch slave cylinder pushrod

I have replaced the clutch slave cylinder with an aftermarket one that has been on the shelf for several years. I re-used the pushrod from the original but it doesn't reach far enough to fully release the clutch. The pushrod measures 4.125 inches in length. Did the aftermarket cylinder come with a longer pushrod that I have misplaced?

SIII or pre-SIII?
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Sorry, it's an 1960 early S2 with the return spring. The illustration in the GB shows how it is adjusted, but the rod doesn't push the lever down far enough. Even with only two orthree threads engaged in the clevis jaws, the clutch just begins to disengage. I have made up a slightly longer rod to try tomorrow, but I wondered if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Star27buck View Post
    Sorry, it's an 1960 early S2 with the return spring. The illustration in the GB shows how it is adjusted, but the rod doesn't push the lever down far enough. Even with only two orthree threads engaged in the clevis jaws, the clutch just begins to disengage. I have made up a slightly longer rod to try tomorrow, but I wondered if anyone else has experienced this issue.
    I've seen some clutch setups where the slave cylinder has a spacer between the slave and the mounting bracket,and some that don't. If you have a spacer (about 1/4" thick, IIRC) between the slave and the bracket, you might try removing this and trying it again.
    --Mark

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    I've seen some clutch setups where the slave cylinder has a spacer between the slave and the mounting bracket,and some that don't. If you have a spacer (about 1/4" thick, IIRC) between the slave and the bracket, you might try removing this and trying it again.
    No spacer. I made up a longer shaft and it seems to be working well. It is difficult to get the correct parts when I don't know the truck's history. Whoever built it did a fine job: mechanically sound, intelligently laid out electrical system (everything on separate fuses) but it retains the original patina.
    Having said that, the clutch worked well for years with the transmission I just replaced (40,000 miles+/-). When I replaced the gearbox, I put in a new clutch and should have rebuilt the existing slave but I had an unused replacement on the shelf.

Another thing to look for, as I understand it, is slop in the contraption downstream of the slave. The mechanical linkages that actually disengage the clutch. Any wear in all those parts eats precious slave cylinder travel without actually moving the clutch throw mechanism. Bad or improperly adjusted clutch master can also play a part in your issue.
    --Mark