Thread: Stuck axle shaft end

Default Stuck axle shaft end

Well it had to happen to me sooner or later. After driving LR's for 30 years I have finally had an axle shaft snap on me. It's on my 1972 Series 3 LH rear axle shaft. It snapped right at the start of the spline so the end is firmly stuck in the gear.

I would rather not have to remove the differential to get the remaining piece out. I've read that it is possible to put a rod through from the other end and push it out - has anyone had success with that approach? What size rod is needed and how much persuasion is needed to move it? Is it safe to use a hammer?

If I do have to remove the differential what is the approx. weight of the unit? If the piece did not move using the rod approach how do I remove the broken piece once the differential is out?

Help!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MJL View Post
    Well it had to happen to me sooner or later. After driving LR's for 30 years I have finally had an axle shaft snap on me. It's on my 1972 Series 3 LH rear axle shaft. It snapped right at the start of the spline so the end is firmly stuck in the gear.

I would rather not have to remove the differential to get the remaining piece out. I've read that it is possible to put a rod through from the other end and push it out - has anyone had success with that approach? What size rod is needed and how much persuasion is needed to move it? Is it safe to use a hammer?

If I do have to remove the differential what is the approx. weight of the unit? If the piece did not move using the rod approach how do I remove the broken piece once the differential is out?

Help!

Mike
    Diff. is heavy.