Thread: Mechanical fuel pump oil leak and two free gas tanks

Default Mechanical fuel pump oil leak and two free gas tanks

My truck sputtered out a year ago and I am now just getting back to getting it on the road. The joys of parenthood.

I have replaced both tanks and associated components ( tanks were full of rust and water and sludge )I have replaced the mechanical fuel pump and I have replaced the carburetor. After these items were replaced The truck ran great off of the new auxiliary tank. When I switched over to the new main tank truck ran fine for 10 minutes and I went to bed. The next morning I started it back up and the truck wouldn't run. No fuel making it to the carb. I worked the mechanical fuel pump three or four times and get some fuel and then nothing. I am now replacing all the fuel hose tube, removing and cleaning the main/aux fuel switch, putting another new fuel filter on between the pump and carb. I'm tracing down a lack of fuel issue and when I removed the mechanical fuel pump oil came out of the engine block opening. I've done this procedure several times and this is the first time oil came out of the engine opening.

Any thoughts on the foil coming out? Any critiques of my tracking down the lack of fuel?

Also... During this whole process I've also replaced my right and left fuel tanks. One has add it outside recoated in the past but the passenger side main fuel tank is original. If anyone is interested they are free for pick up or just pay the shipping and I will send them to you. I'm in Plattsburgh NY 12901
    '68 109 3 door with multiple personalities
    '03 Ford Excursion 7.3 diesel
    '07 Porsche Carrera S Cabriolet

Oil coming out of the fuel pump mount point is normal. Especially if it has been run recently. Don't let that concern you.

I think the fuel lines are the next logical place to look - check the pickup/draw tubes as well in each tank. Do you have an in-line fuel filter - check that - also, if there was crud in the fuel lines, it's possible it made its way into the carb.

Also - any chance of vapor lock? Was the ambient/air temp hot when you were testing the aux fuel tank?
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Hey good to see you back on here. Have not seen your truck around.
    I would suspect the fuel change over valve has a leak and sucking air. There is a cork seal that goes bad and can cause this condition. I had this same problem on an exmod I owned.
    THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
    THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
    THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
    THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Quote Originally Posted by siii8873 View Post
    I would suspect the fuel change over valve has a leak and sucking air. There is a cork seal that goes bad and can cause this condition. I had this same problem on an exmod I owned.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Does anyone know if the gasket is still present to buy?