Thread: What kind of plastic are Lucas switches made of - and what kind of glue to fix them

Default What kind of plastic are Lucas switches made of - and what kind of glue to fix them

Does anyone know what kind of plastic Lucas likely used for the heavy black shell of their late 1960s - early 1970s toggle switches? I need to glue one back together and would like to use something that'll last and won't weaken the plastic.
    1970 Series IIA
    1964 Series IIA [sold]

I don't know what kind of plastic was used but you might want to try JB weld plastic weld. It's an epoxy that comes in a syringe. It works well on most hard plastics. As far as weakening the plastic I could only guess but those parts are around 50 years old. That's what I would try.

The type of plastic used by Rover on switches is the easily breakable kind. Don't ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by etandrews View Post
    I don't know what kind of plastic was used but you might want to try JB weld plastic weld. It's an epoxy that comes in a syringe. It works well on most hard plastics. As far as weakening the plastic I could only guess but those parts are around 50 years old. That's what I would try.
    X2. IMHO JB Plastic Weld is a strong choice.

They used to advertise that J.B. Weld would repair a cracked engine block. Never tried that, but I like J.B. Weld a lot!

Thanks all, I used the JB Weld and it seems to be working.
    1970 Series IIA
    1964 Series IIA [sold]

I believe they are made of Bakelite.

Colin