Thread: fitting larger tires

Default fitting larger tires

I would like to fit larger tires on my 1972 SWB Series 3 without the use of wheel spacers. My Series 3 came with used LWB 5 1/2" X 16" steel wheels. I mounted new 235-65-16 (32"tall) Mud Rover tires and they rub the frame when I turn, other than that plenty of wheel clearance. Can I use a wider wheel with less back spacing to bring the tire out? This would give the Series a wider stance and thats good. Would Defender Wolf wheels work and has anyone here done this?

You do mean, 235-85-16, right? That's close to the 7.5x16 size.

Have you adjusted the steering stops?
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie
    You do mean, 235-85-16, right? That's close to the 7.5x16 size.

Have you adjusted the steering stops?
    Good point Les 235-85-16's should fit OK but as you say the stops need adjusting......my pal has run them for ages on his Series III... no problems.......
    regards; Dave
    A 1997 Discovery guy from

Yes, you just have to adjust the steering stops on the swivel balls....
    1984 D-90 Tdi
    71 IIa 88 Perkins Prima Powered
    1995 D-90 SW Tdi #413
    No Gas burner Here............

Randy

Correction on the tire size, they are 265-75R-16 Dunlop Mud Rovers. It came with well worn 235-85R-16 tires that did fit. The tires rub about a half inch to 3/4 inch, I will adjust the steering stops on the axle. This sounds like it will effect the turning radius but at least the tires will not rub.

Quote Originally Posted by LH Drive
    Correction on the tire size, they are 265-75R-16 Dunlop Mud Rovers. It came with well worn 235-85R-16 tires that did fit. The tires rub about a half inch to 3/4 inch, I will adjust the steering stops on the axle. This sounds like it will effect the turning radius but at least the tires will not rub.

With the 265/75's, you've gained about an inch in width, for about the same height (lost a fraction of an inch, actually). Yes, adjusting the steering stops will keep you from cutting the wheel as tight, but it will save your tires.

The 235/85 is close to, but a little wider than, the 7.5x16's that are common for Series to use. The stock 88" tire was even smaller usually, but the 7.5x16 was optional and is a good size. The 235/85 is about as close as you can get in modern sizing. A 215/85 would be close too. (A theoretical 200/100R16 would be what a bias-ply 7.5x16 is, but no one makes a 100-series radial that I've ever heard of.)

You'll have more rubber on the ground; rock-crawling, trying to float in mud or snow, etc., you should theoretically do better... but a Series isn't really good at spinning through mudholes like a F250 would, the traditional tall skinny tire will try to cut down through to solid underneath. Just different appproaches....

FWIW...
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

I had 265x75's on a 109" nice tire but too wide in my opinion.........
    I like the idea of tall skinny ones as Les says.........cut down to hard bottom if there is a bottom
    regards; Dave
    A 1997 Discovery guy from

thanks for the info on what tires to use. I'll will try to exchange the tires for 235's since they are still new. I like the classic skinny tall look on Series Rovers.