Thread: What is the correct finish for the horn button plate on a 2A?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What is the correct finish for the horn button plate on a 2A?

Hi,
    My '62 2A horn surround (the metal part that snaps into the top of the steering wheel and holds the horn button in the center) was painted grey at some point, then silver, but the backside is covered in wrinkly black paint! Pictures in magazines and books arent terribly clear but it looks to be painted. Or plated...

What is the original finish?
    paint (what color?) chrome, or was it galvani$ed?

That wrinkly black paint on the backside is the correct original finish. I'm told the way to get that "crinkle" finish is to use a high heat gun on it for a specific amount of time after the paint is sprayed/applied, while it is drying.
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

I used the VHT Wrinkle pain shown in the link - just follow directions on the can. A few thin coats and you're good to go. The thicker the coats the more wrinkle effect you get.

IIRC these horn buttons had a moderate wrinkled look.

FYI: This stuff can take a long time to fully dry. It will feel dry but will be soft - you need to let it cure for a few days before installation. Also, it's a good idea to use a good primer on the bare metal.

Just my experience - others may have had a different result.

Ted
    Last edited by TedW; 12-04-2017 at 03:28 PM.

From looking at a large number of original paint steering wheel centers, the Finnish is quite varied. Probably depends on who was working that day and what the temperature was.

Wrinkle paint doesn't work well in the cold, you can help the wrinkle process along in the oven on low heat.

Quote Originally Posted by RPGreg2600 View Post
    From looking at a large number of original paint steering wheel centers, the Finnish is quite varied. Probably depends on who was working that day and what the temperature was.

Wrinkle paint doesn't work well in the cold, you can help the wrinkle process along in the oven on low heat.
    FWIW I did a couple of horn buttons with the VHT stuff at 70 degrees or so- no additional heat used, just air dry. It wrinkled up just fine.

Ok, wrinkly black it is!

Thank You everyone and Merry Christmas to all!!!