Thread: proper function of front clear running/park lamps on SII, + more lighting questions

Default proper function of front clear running/park lamps on SII, + more lighting questions

Hi All,

I think this is my first post and I'm new to Rovers having just acquired my '59 88 NA spec LHD last month, but not to old cars. I'm doing a major refurbishment on the Landy myself, and sorting the mechanical and cosmetics, but not a full restoration. Looking forward to some good conversations on the forum here! I did some searches but can't find this info, and I'm currently replacing the lights on my '59 with the correct for 59 (Euro) glass Lucas items and cleaning up the wiring to remove an old trailer towing light kit that I no longer need. Currently, the front clear/white small lights do nothing in any switch position, but they are wired up to something (didn't install the new Lucas versions up there yet and get into where the wires go). The Amber signals front and rear work normally, and the brake lamps and headlights work as expected. This is how my lights are set up currently, please advise if this is correct or not, and how I should wire in the front running/parking lights? I am assuming they should be on solid when the switch is in either the parking OR headlamp position (all the time, for extra lighting)? Also the rear Ambers never light unless the blinker is running, should they be on solid with the lights on, like the front Ambers, or only when blinking? The Brake lamps do come on solid all the time with the switch on.

Switch in position 1: Front Amber - Lit Solid, Front Clear - not lit, Rear Brake lamp - Lit Solid, Rear Amber - not lit
    Switch in position 2: Headlights ON, Front Amber - Lit Solid, Front Clear - not lit, Rear Brake lamp - Lit Solid, Rear Amber - not lit

*Blinker switch activates all 4 Ambers to blink normally, 2 at a time L or R side as normal

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lucas_lights.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	12529Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parklamp.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	12528
    Jeff

What does your ignition switch look like?

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    What does your ignition switch look like?
    I think its a stock SII switch, this is the best pic I have handy...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jeff in Saratoga, CA, USA
    Garage:
    1959 SII 88" LHD USA delivery, Limestone/Elephant Grey
    1975 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 (EU market)
    2006 BMW M3 6-spd

The way I have my Series II set up is that with the switch in position 1, the clear lights in the front come on with the red tail lights. With the switch in position 2, the headlights come on, and the clear running lights up front stay on. The only time the amber lights in the front or back come on are when you operate the indicator stalk. They should not be on in position 1.
    Doug
    61 Series II 109 SW
    95 RR County LWB
    06 Range Rover
    98 Discovery LE