Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proper seat cushion placement on 1964 Series IIa

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    One more time, you do not have the steel frames that the cushions set into. If you look at the link above you will see it pictured. These are not available anymore. You have to post some ads on the forums that you are looking for a set. Maybe someone can give up part of their parts horde. Good luck.

Looks like he has all the framework that would have come in this model. This type of seat track does NOT use the adjustable seat tracks and frame pictured in the link above and mentioned by o2batsea and is not needed. The only thing I notice is that the small right angle tabs at the front of the seat track are missing that the wooden ridge in the seatbase sits against, you will also need the leather straps that hold the seat in place to the knob/stubs on the front of the seatbox. Bob if you want some photos of how its supposed to go together I can send you some - shoot me a text.

-Cheers
    -Ike

Thank you Ike for your reply!

I was able to figure out that the seat cushions needed some type of wood rails to locate them properly between the steel rails on my aluminum seat box. The only other question was where would the cushion have been originally? Back against the rear bulkhead or forward even with the front of the seat box. If you noticed from my pictures I picked just slightly back from the edge of the seat box. The picture you texted me shows that cushion just about where mine are which makes me smile!

I'm curious what cushions would have come originally with my '64. It seems very unlikely that it would have had adjustable seats on rails (as Bill/o2batsea mentions....one more time?) since it had the leather strap buttons for the cushions already installed. Would the original seat cushions in 1964 been constructed of springs on a metal bottom covered with vinyl elephant hide or wood and foam like can be purchased today? I was just wondering if anyone had a picture of an original setup....even though my Rover is not going to be a museum piece be judged by rivet counters.

Just curious!

Thanks!!!!
    Bob Kopicki
    Massillon Oh
    64 SIIa 88
    72 Newell Motorcoach

Bob,
    Your truck appears to have been fitted with the static seat tracks. It would have come with sprung metal seat squabs with wooden bases wrapped in batting and covered in elephant hide vinyl. If you look in the original parts catalogue there are many types of seats for different configurations and models which differ in detail. Todays reproductions are limited to very basic one size fits all replacements.

Cheers
    -Ike