Thread: clutch line fix

Default clutch line fix

'70 SIIA, 88", 2.25 petrol, etc.

I recently replaced my clutch master and slave cylinders. All was well and good.

Then, as I was driving yesterday, the clutch went suddenly all the way to the floor. I assumed the seals in the slave or master had suddenly failed, but upon inspection that is not the case. Instead, I found a tiny hole in the steel clutch hydraulic line -- it appears that the steel clutch line had been rubbing against the heater line for some time and eventually had worn through. So, I have a hole in the line, passenger side of truck, near the top in a relatively accessible location.

I'm wondering about patching or splicing the line, rather than replacing it. As you may know to replace that line (hydraulic clutch line from the clutch master to the junction on the firewall) requires removal of the hood (no biggie), driver side wing (pain in the butt), and other peripherals. And, the truck is sitting on a residential street now, not in my garage, making it more difficult to make it a big production.

So my query is about options to mend, not replace, the line while it is still in the truck. I've never flared brake/clutch lines or the like before (though willing to learn)...and I'm (sadly) not a welder, etc. though I've worked with soldering copper etc. in the past. I guess one option would be a fix that would need to hold for 10 minutes to get the truck in gear and time enough to drive it home and get it in the driveway where I could actually replace the whole line...

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

Couple thoughts - both focused on getting it home...

You don't need a clutch to drive the truck... Some folks know exactly the right RPM to shift where it won't grind, even without using the clutch... Regardless, you can start in neutral and then shift 2nd with a little grind and crawl her back home.

You could use a piece of rubber hose placed over the hole, held in place by a hose clamp. You still need to bleed the clutch to get it back in action.

At the end of the day, don't mess with patching it as a long term fix. Do it right, do it once. Easy enough to learn how to bend and flare. Get some brake pipe at your local pep boys and practice on it.
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Thanks for the input.

I agree with the sentiment of the long term fix, though I am/was hoping there's an equally solid fix to be had that can be achieved with the line still in the truck -- perhaps splicing in a section with the proper flares, or cutting out the small (1/4") section that's problematic and re-joining the 2 pieces (via flared connections, or whatever other means); there's enough play in the line to lose an inch or more if that's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
    You don't need a clutch to drive the truck... Some folks know exactly the right RPM to shift where it won't grind, even without using the clutch... Regardless, you can start in neutral and then shift 2nd with a little grind and crawl her back home.
    As for finding the right RPMs that was a no- go for me in my attempts...I could live through a little grind but it was a BIG, bone-rattling, unsettling, painful grind, and I can't subject the truck to that again...

I would replace the line, complete, Making sure that the rubbing issue is not going to happen again. Of course when breaking into a hydro system, one must bleed system later to accomplish proper expulsion of air, and to get a good pedal.

Creating a clean splice using a compression union fitting is as much or more work than just replacing the bad line.

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    Creating a clean splice using a compression union fitting is as much or more work than just replacing the bad line.
    I agree. To cut out the section and flare the ends in the truck still is going to be just as much work as pulling out the entire line. Also you can start the Rover in gear, just put it in first and push the start button, it'll lurch and jump until it fires up and then you're rolling, just can't stop.
    1966 Series IIA
    A Little rough around the edges... And everywhere else.

1 other option MIGHT be 2 solder a small round patch where your pipe has rubbed thru. Not cricket exactly but it could save you a lot of time. You just have 2 know how 2 solder very well & make the area VERY VERY clean B4 hand!!! (From brake fluid contamination & grease or dirt)

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    Compression fittings are legal on a clutch line are usually easier to install in situ. Near a bend would be more difficult.

https://www.wurthusa.com/Fluid-Power...e/p/1884056003

New line is always best though.