Thread: Rocker Arm - Vertical play

Default Rocker Arm - Vertical play

Hi everyone

So I just completed my first routine maintenance on the my 1968 109 2.25 petrol and decided to check the clearances on the tappets. I noticed that a few of the rocker arms could manually be moved up and down. Is this normal? Do i need to replace the entire rocker arm assembly? or is there a way to adjust the play. Was not able to find any guidance in the green bible.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Yes, it’s normal. Yes, it can be adjusted and should be checked periodically. The green bible does cover it. This is a good starter video to get the concept down. On a rover you can use the hand crank to rotate the pistons/valves to the right spot to check the gap.

If your truck is running smooth/quiet. Let it be. If you’re getting misfire, backfire or other abnormalities, checking the valve gaps is one of several regular tuneup check points.
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
    Yes, it’s normal. Yes, it can be adjusted and should be checked periodically. The green bible does cover it. This is a good starter video to get the concept down. On a rover you can use the hand crank to rotate the pistons/valves to the right spot to check the gap.

If your truck is running smooth/quiet. Let it be. If you’re getting misfire, backfire or other abnormalities, checking the valve gaps is one of several regular tuneup check points.
    Thanks for the info! My question was more after the adjustment bolt is tightened is there supposed to be vertical play? Thanks again!! Ben