Thread: Hard starting when cold

Default Hard starting when cold

Folks,

Help appreciated: '63 Series IIA 109. When it is cold, I push the starter button and it spins for a second or two with no engine cough. I wait a few seconds, push button again and get a cough from the engine and then the starter just spins. Wait a few more seconds, keep trying. After 6 or 7 tries it usually fires up. Choke on or off does not seem to matter. Once it is warm it starts with no issues. Weird....any thoughts on what to check? Thanks in advance.

Check the starter leads to make sure you are getting enough juice to the starter, as well as a clean ground connection. Check your battery voltage, and if those 2 don’t work, take the starter off, and clean the throw out gear, as the grease may be gummy, not allowing it to engage. (I’m guessing it’s one of the first 2 problems though.)
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Need some more info.
    You wrote "I push the starter button and it spins for a second or two " What is "it"? Is "it" just the starter motor or is it the engine?
    If it's the engine then it may be a choke that's not effective, or a carb empty of fuel, or other things.
    If it's the starter turning without turning the engine than stomper's hint above would be apropos.

Agreed with Stomper, a good clean ground to your starter is important, and so is what he said about the starter "dog".