Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the Series Life

Default New to the Series Life

Hello all,

This is my first go round with owning a Series (and a Land Rover at that), so I'm about as green as they come. I recently picked up this 59' Series II SWB, but the seller didn't know much more about the 88 other than it was a west coast military truck that had made its way to a Montpelier garage.

I haven't been able to dive in deep into the belly of the beast yet but rust seems to be minimal (no serious flaking anywhere in the cab, around the frame, etc.), which is exciting but also taken with a grain of salt. No pun intended.

Anyway, if people have thoughts on this beaut, I'd welcome them.

Thanks

PS - if anyone has a hoop set they're trying to offload, I'm your guy (and a black canvas top if you've got that too).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2598 3.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	12604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2591.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	12605  

Welcome!

Great looking series... and one of my favorite colors.

You won't be disappointed in moving to canvas.
    I hung my hardtop in the garage 4 years ago and never looked back.

You might check out the Guns and Rovers Forum for an active "series" community.

Quote Originally Posted by foyphillip View Post
    Anyway, if people have thoughts on this beaut, I'd welcome them.

Thanks
    Well, you asked so here goes...
    All the exterior lamps are wrong. Front bumper is wrong. Someone painted all the galvanized parts (ugh). Checker plate all over the front wings is a sign that there are problems with them. Wing mirrors missing. Chrome headlamp trim rings painted black. Galvanized grille painted black. Lower sills missing. Front apron panel missing.
    Despite these correctable things, it is a Series 2 so it's worth spending time and money on it. Hope you enjoy it!

Hmm, weird placement of checker plate, interesting top without the rear small windows,
    agreed looks rust free, and nice color, congratulations, Rover on!

Awesome, thanks for this list. Based on what you caught from just a few pictures, I'm sure there's plenty more "issues" to be found but, it runs and has some character.

Also, looks mostly like aesthetic items for restoring to original form but super helpful to learn about this stuff, so thanks again for taking the time. I'm sure I'll be posting updates once work gets underway.

Yeh it's cosmetics, but we in the Rover community have learned that trucks that look wrong from the outside are often wrong on the inside, often way more than just a matter of paint. Hope yours is not a long list of problems waiting to be repaired!
    Unscrupulous sellers often make these things look presentable for quick sale to the inexperienced buyer. Upon closer inspection huge mechanical and safety problems come to light that end up being very costly. Early trucks like this are even more problematic in that the parts for them are scarce and expensive (if/when) you can find them.
    Check out the scary ebay truck that was taken in to have a few small things looked at, only to uncover major faults: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkm_mDY_FeA

That makes sense and I appreciate the pointers. I am lucky enough to live in Vermont near a guy who works on restorations full time and he had taken a peruse over the vehicle and given a general thumbs up - no red flags structurally, electrically or engine wise but obviously things to work on like you mentioned and others (e.g. prop shaft was on backwards).

As for that video, I'd actually come across that after purchasing and was blown away by a lot of those issues they went over. Hopefully Karma will bite that seller and give them their comeuppance. However, besides all the bad stuff on that Rover, the video was helpful for learning about general maintenance things, just wish it didn't have to come at someone else's expense.

Good and bad - plenty of things to work on before the British Invasion here in September!

Get the "Green Bibles" and continue to pick owners brains on this site, read much, and follow simple quality mechanical practices. You will continue to have a nice, daily driver.
    cheers,
    Cedryck

Replace the lights with original indicator and brake lights, they are very nice especially the early 59-60's series. Show us more photos please. How about the engine? Interior? I like the split tailgate hardtop, cargo type. Nice! Are those warn free lock in the front wheel?

Lights are definitely on the list. Good news - crappy black paint on the headlights is coming right off.

Also, attached are a few more pics for info/critique.

Thanks again

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2721.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	12618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2729.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	12619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2731.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	12617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2735.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	12620