Thread: My first Land Rover: 1979 Series III 88" Santana

Default My first Land Rover: 1979 Series III 88" Santana

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NCLRC-rally01.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	12606

With just a little luck I should take possession of a 1979 Series III by the end of February. My Land Rover journey started in May of last year (2017) when I spotted a newly restored Defender 90 on the Cool & Vintage website. I'd seen photos of these vintage restorations but it never occurred to me you could buy them. I assumed someone did the restoration, was proud of it and showing it off online. But the Cool & Vintage site had a link that read: "Become the proud owner of our next build." Whoa! You can buy these?!

I emailed them and discovered I could indeed buy one of their frame-off restorations (a new term for me). I came very close to purchasing one of their trucks which might have been a big mistake since they're in Portugal.

But now I had the bug and heard about Arkonik (UK). Over the course of a few long -- but very interesting phone calls -- I learned Arkonik could restore an old Land Rover for me if I could come up with $100K and didn't mind waiting for a year. I was tempted. But then a friend introduced me to a "concierge buyer" who would find (and vet) a Land Rover for me, in the U.S. Let's call him Mr. Wolf.

Over the course of several phone conversations, Mr. Wolf suggested that I might be a good candidate for a Series Land Rover, rather than a Defender. They're slow, noisy and hard to drive, he warned. Not for everybody. But once I saw my first Series truck I was hooked. Within a couple of weeks he located a truck (near San Diego) that was a bit more than halfway through a frame-off restoration and persuaded the owner to sell it. I wired a deposit with no idea of the final cost. I had to have that truck.

The restoration dragged on. And on. Once in Mr. Wolf's hands, he discovered "issues" with the truck but those have mostly been sorted out and in a few weeks my truck will be put inside a bigger truck for its trip to mid-Missouri.

I've always owned sensible cars. Practical cars. Quiet cars that get good gas mileage. I'm told my new/old truck will get about 10 miles to the gallon of diesel fuel and hit speeds as high as 50 mph (maybe). No power brakes. No power steering. It will be like learning to drive all over again, promised one veteran Landy owner.

My truck is a Santana and will proudly display a rusty old badge proclaiming its birth place.

I have a million questions (and I don't have the truck yet!) but will spend some time lurking and reading old forum posts.

Welcome to the fold!

Best of luck with delivery. I hope that you are happy with your Santana. Adjust your expectations for an unrefined drive and enjoy the fun and adventure that Land Rovers seem to have forged into their frames.

- Consider a canvas top (or better yet, no top at all)... I find this the best configuration for smiles/miles.
    - Check out the Guns and Rovers Forum for an active "series" community.

Cheers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soft-top.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	12607
    Transitioning from a MINI to an old truck will take some time and patience but I'm looking forward to the experience.
    Purchased a mesh soft top from Rovers North and will make the switch when it's reliably warm here in MO. (Photo above is of truck belonging to a friend. That's the top I bought)
    Will visit Guns and Rovers forum. Thanks for the tips.

Congrats on getting something you always wanted. Hopefully it will be a rewarding experience. You will get to learn all of the differences between santanas and land rovers - (check out camion militar for santana specific parts) A lot of these websites are selling people on image rather than substance. I hope you end up with a good vehicle.

My favorite part of the arkonik website:

"Due to the care and attention needed for an Arkonik restoration, we limit our production to 5 Defenders each month."

Im dying

Last year Jonesy and Lav were invited to visit Arkonik. Arkonik flew them both over there, put them in hotels and gave them tours of the facility and test drives of the vehicles. Upon their return, glowing reports about the operation were given. I am happy to forward Jonesy and Lav's contact info to anyone who wishes to know more details.
    That said, there has been a lot of words spilled over them. The long thread on D-90 is here. If you want to read thru all that and make up your own mind, have fun.