Thread: Replacing bench seats with toolboxes

Default Replacing bench seats with toolboxes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tool-box.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	12613
    I’m going to replace the bench seats in the tub of my 88” Series III. Just don’t like the look of the things and — more to the point — I can imagine no situation in which someone will be riding around the back. I’d like to replace them with some sort of simple storage/tool box. Probably one one either side of the tub. Nothing fancy, just a simple box I can padlock. Obviously I’ll want them bolted to the tub but the need to be able to remove easily.

Seems like there would be no shortage of these. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Just a few links I found. Don't know if you can find the guy who made the original boxes below.
    http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/new-storage-solution/
    http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/less...-more-storage/

Tuffy boxes here:
    https://www.roversnorth.com/productd...710&type=0&eq=
    and recessed into the rear bed here:
    https://eastcoastrover.com/204.html
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Thank you. All of those links are helpful.

Bolting the box to the tub is a good practice, sucks when offroading and an unsecured box fall on someone.

Quote Originally Posted by psmays View Post

Name:	tool-box.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	12613
    I’m going to replace the bench seats in the tub of my 88” Series III. Just don’t like the look of the things and — more to the point — I can imagine no situation in which someone will be riding around the back. I’d like to replace them with some sort of simple storage/tool box. Probably one one either side of the tub. Nothing fancy, just a simple box I can padlock. Obviously I’ll want them bolted to the tub but the need to be able to remove easily.

Seems like there would be no shortage of these. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    I'm doing the same thing for the same reasons. If anyone in Virginia wants 4 good condition rear jump seats for free, you can have them. I just don't want to deal with packing and shipping. I've just removed them, and I'm looking at best ways to utilize the space. Right now I just like hanging out in there in the rain, and looking through the windows, thinking about the leaky roof. Hahaha!

Name:	Seats_600x337.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	12923
    Thanks!
    Mike

UPDATE - JANUARY 2019... The seats have found a home - Thanks for your inquiries!
    Mike
    Last edited by mikeshaw247; 01-25-2019 at 12:24 PM.

I'm working on a project to inset two tool boxes into the interior forward sills. I got a super deal on two aluminum chequer plate tool boxes that I hope to rivet in place and have only the lids exposed. There is already a factory one in the left rear (this is a 109) where the battery and misc. junk are located.

'99 disco II
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109 (Old Range Rover V-8 and Lt 95)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeshaw247 View Post
    If anyone in Virginia wants 4 good condition rear jump seats for free, you can have them. I just don't want to deal with packing and shipping. I've just removed them, and I'm looking at best ways to utilize the space. Right now I just like hanging out in there in the rain, and looking through the windows, thinking about the leaky roof. Hahaha!

Name:	Seats_600x337.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	12923
    Thanks!
    Mike
    Mike, if your seats are still available I'd be interested! I'm probably not too far from you.
    Thanks,
    - Nate

Hi Psmays,

I mounted one of these on the right side of my 88:

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-96-s...age-trunk.aspx

Below is a photo of my inspiration (not my truck).

On the left side I am going to install an ArkPak battery box and a jump seat at the back, so one can sit out of the rain or sun while eating, fixing something, etc. I also installed similar tie down rails. I will post a photo of my box tonight.

Regards,

DavidClick image for larger version. 

Name:	slider9.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	12943

Here’s a photo of my truck.

Regards,

David

Name:	57DE62F8-D9A4-45D2-874E-A14D67DBC74A.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	12944

I mounted a Troy Smith Box in the back of my 88".

-Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TroySbox1.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	12945   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TroySbox2.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	12946