Thread: NAS D90 not starting.

Default NAS D90 not starting.

Folks,
    Need some advise here. My '95 NAS D90 is not starting. New Optima battery was put in a couple of months ago and vehicle started up like a champ and drove it around NYC many times. A couple of weeks ago, I took it to the car wash to have it washed and have the annoying salt removed. Took it back to the covered garage in NYC. Last Saturday, I tried to start it but engine is not turning. The new battery is cranking but the engine wouldn't turn. A friend says the alternator needs to be replaced while another says to check for water in areas like the distributor cap, fuel carb etc.etc and maybe fuel or maybe loose belt. Looking for advise or suggestions before calling AAA to have it towed to mechanic.
    Thanks.
    Daryl

Hmmmm... What do you mean by, "the battery is cranking"? Is the battery cable is getting hot? If the engine isn't turning over, have look at the starter. It may be as simple as a loose wire on the starter itself. And don't dismiss the idea that the new battery may not be good. If the car wash was high pressure it may have gotten any number of sensors and connections wet. Hard to tell what's going on at this distance. Basically, if it doesn't turn over ("crank" in popular car speak), nothing else is going to come into play until then.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Sorry. I guess I am not using the proper terminology. The engine is not turning over but there were moments it almost. I spoke to a mechanic who repairs my wife's Mini Cooper and he suggested using engine starting fluid to give it a try.

Again...if it doesn't turn over freely, starting fluid (or anything else) is of no use at that point (Sheesh, what kind of mechanics are available in NY?). The engine has to be able to turn over freely before any other action can be determined. First get electric to the starter, tighten the battery terminals. If that doesn't work, try to jump start it. That may narrow things down to the starter itself being bad (if all the wiring for the starter is OK). Also, there is a manual available on line for free, that is invaluable for repairing Land Rovers, it's called "RAVE". Find it on line, it's a good road map to trouble shoot these vehicles (kind of hard to do without one, really).

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 2500S

Problem solved. Ended up towing vehicle to mechanic and it needed a tune-up. Replaced distributor cap, wires and spark plugs. Apparently moisture got into it and causing it to not fire. Thanks for the response and info.