Thread: Water Temperature Sender

Default Water Temperature Sender

Does anyone know what the thread size and pitch of an electric water temperature sender are?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Oh man, I think I tried to mess with one of these a while back and found out that it was some weird BS or BSF thread. If I had one in my hand, I could tell for sure.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

There used to be an adapter which screwed into the head where it was origionally mounted but I'm afraid that it is NLA as I can't find one anywhere. If someone has a parts number for the adapter that might be of help.
    Jim

What are you trying to do?

I once ordered two from England that were too small. They were for a British car, just not a Land Rover. I was able to get one that was larger and correct from a US parts source. If you have an adapter, someone may have attempted to use a different sender at some point.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

I'm trying to use an old water temp sender as an oil temp sender. Since I bought the dual gauge my cluster water temp gauge isn't hooked up so I got the bright idea to remove the mechanical oil temp gauge sender stick in the old electric water temp sender and try to use the old electric water temp gauge to read oil temp. Hope this makes some sort of sense.
    Jim

LR part numbers:

> 218512 Union for thermometer bulb, Petrol models
    > 243959 Joint washer, union to cylinder head, Petrol models

The thread into the head is the same as the sump (drain) plug, in fact, the blanking plug is a sump plug!

Regards,

Tom P.
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Thanks Tom.
    Jim