Thread: Camshaft removal 2.25L diesel

Default Camshaft removal 2.25L diesel

Hi. Am in the middle of a rebuild on a 3mb 2.25L diesel and cannot seem to get the camshaft out. It appears not to clear the fuel distributor main spline gear. The distributor pump and pump drive shaft are out. The main spline gear has (had, now) a retaining reing which I thought retained it so removed that but to no effect.
    Does anyone have a method or idea for either the camshaft clearing the main spline gear or removing the gear? I appreciate any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Statueman17 View Post
    Hi. Am in the middle of a rebuild on a 3mb 2.25L diesel and cannot seem to get the camshaft out. It appears not to clear the fuel distributor main spline gear. The distributor pump and pump drive shaft are out. The main spline gear has (had, now) a retaining reing which I thought retained it so removed that but to no effect.
    Does anyone have a method or idea for either the camshaft clearing the main spline gear or removing the gear? I appreciate any suggestions.

Take off the oil filter mount and remove the gasket. Behind there is a set screw that holds the vertical drive gear and bushing in place. remove the screw, then get a set of needle nose on the gear through the hole in the block where the injection pump mounts and pull the entire assembly up and out. If your lifters (tappet slides and rollers) are all out as well, the camshaft should slide right out!

Oh, and the camshaft retaining plate behind the camshaft timing chain gear has to be off too!

Yep, I found it earlier today after accessing a different manual that had an illustration (vs my shop manual) plus the screw was covered by old gasket material. Thanks though. I appreciate the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    Take off the oil filter mount and remove the gasket. Behind there is a set screw that holds the vertical drive gear and bushing in place. remove the screw, then get a set of needle nose on the gear through the hole in the block where the injection pump mounts and pull the entire assembly up and out. If your lifters (tappet slides and rollers) are all out as well, the camshaft should slide right out!