Thread: Superwinch OD oil question

Default Superwinch OD oil question

Quick question: I have a (wonderful) Superwinch overdrive unit. The dipstick has a single small notch, nearer the bottom -- what is the proper oil level in relation to this notch? Up to? Above (if so by how much)? Not above?

Here is the only guidance I can find, which says only that the level should be measured with the dipstick screwed in: http://www.landrover.net/overdrive/manual/page8.htm

I've always kept a close eye on the level and have settled on filling it about a half inch above the line, figuring it was the safest strategy (certainly not too low, but also not overly high if the mark is the "high" level).

Thanks.

Hi Andrew: The oil level will come up to the notch if you put in just what is specified in the instructions.

I installed a new Superwinch OD 25 years ago, and from Day One have had oil from the T-Case migrating into the overdrive, so it has always been (technically) overfilled. Like yours, it is always maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the notch.

My unit has run quiet and silky smooth from new - that's a long time ago. IMHO these units have a stupid-small oil capacity, so (at least in my case and maybe in yours) the extra oil hasn't been an issue, and may be helping.

Given the small oil capacity I strongly suggest that you run full synthetic gear oil: Amsoil GL-4 Gear oil(just one good choice of many) is great stuff that will run significantly cooler and keep wear to a minimum. I use it everywhere: gearbox, t-case, swivels and diffs. And no, it doesn't leak out any faster than conventional oil. Unlike you, I also deal with cold weather, and synthetics flow extremely well when chilly.

Just my $0.02 - others may have had different experiences.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by TedW View Post
    Hi Andrew: ...from Day One have had oil from the T-Case migrating into the overdrive, so it has always been (technically) overfilled. Like yours, it is always maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the notch.
    Same... They're good until. Pull them every 20K and clean them out. Swap out worn gears. They're pretty simple devices. You get out of them what you put into them.
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)