Thread: Series 2 steering column at and angle

Default Series 2 steering column at and angle

Hello All,

I have a quick question. I am piecing my 59 series 2 back together and I notice the steering box and column are sitting at an angle. Is this normal? The column passes directly through the center of the bulkhead cut out and fits into the column bracket that is mounted to the dash. I also noticed under one side of the column bracket there is what looks to be a factory shim, but only on one side. I am assuming this shim slightly angles the bracket to match the column angle.

It just looks slightly strange to me.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The inside column mounting bracket has quite a lot of side to side adjustment so maybe check that it isn't all the way to the right.

I took a look at the column bracket. I see the slotted bolts but the top bolts(the ones that come in from the top of the dash) are not allowing me to slide it one way or the other since their holes are not slotted. I took the top bolts out and slid the bracket over and I can get the column somewhat straighter but it is hard up against the hole through the bulkhead.

Have a look at the coachbuilder's drawing on Teriann's website--you'll see that the steering column is angled inboard slightly:
    http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/...awingLARGE.jpg
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Ah yes I see that! Maybe it is perfectly normal then. It just caught my eye when I saw it. Of course I didn't take a good straight on photo before I took the whole vehicle apart either