Thread: Range Rover or 110?

Default Range Rover or 110?

I have a '66 109 5 door on which I have already done a V8 conversion. After two years I've decided that it's just not quite the thing. Rather than replace the drive train AGAIN, along with the reengineering that requires, I'd like to just put the body on a donor coiler chassis.
    I already have a 93 RR Lawib that could be adapted by attaching the body mounts (yup more welding) for the 2A. I have also considered using a 110 chassis and bolting up all the RR stuff, which may be the easiest way to go.
    I am trolling for opinions on this endeavor. Any help appreciated.

On one hand, you already have a RR chassis in hand... it can be made to suit.

The 110 will still require adjustments to fit a 109 body, but not as extensive as the rangie's.

The chassis rails are deeper on the 110 than on the Rangie, too; thus the Rangie will end up being a little lighter using a 110 chassis, but it should serve as a better backbone.

Or.... you could buy one done, then sell yours. Or, get a 110.

FWIW....
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Default The 5 door series on a RRC LWB chassis-Has it been attempted

So luck would have it that a 1966 5 door is all apart in a barn and a gent is trying to sell his 93 RRC LWB chassis and 4.2 engine/tc/tranny

So talk me out of this long exhaustive idea/project or tell me if anyone has done it- any advice and previous examples would be welcome

This is a variation on my idea involving my donor disco chassis. There would be alot of cutting of a 110 PU body and roof to get anything to fit.

My alternative is simply to take the mechanical bits and build up a vehicle on a 90 chassis. More bolt and play.

Disco chassis - 12 inches. Frame shortened by Charlie North at Function First Motorsports:

http://ffmsd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
    I have a '66 109 5 door on which I have already done a V8 conversion. After two years I've decided that it's just not quite the thing. Rather than replace the drive train AGAIN, along with the reengineering that requires, I'd like to just put the body on a donor coiler chassis.
    I already have a 93 RR Lawib that could be adapted by attaching the body mounts (yup more welding) for the 2A. I have also considered using a 110 chassis and bolting up all the RR stuff, which may be the easiest way to go.
    I am trolling for opinions on this endeavor. Any help appreciated.
    As I recall the LWB range rovers are 107" wheelbase? I have seen or heard of 88" body work being mounted on the D90 chassis which is actually a little longer the 90" so it takes some effort to get everything on. I suspect the D110 chassis could work well but would require some creative fitment. Also the wheels on the leaf chassis are not centered in the wheel well due to the travel path of the axles on the springs. The coils are a more linear vertical path of travel..so that may or may not be useful.