Thread: What jack to buy (and where to store it)?

Default What jack to buy (and where to store it)?

Seeking advice on what jack to buy, and where to store it. I mostly stay on pavement, but am getting a permit for off-road use on a nearby beach. You have to carry a jack (and other off-road gear) to use the beach. I'm seeing negative comments about the HI-LIFT brand, due to safety concerns when used off-road. Suggestions?
    1980 Series III (Australian military)

I like factory screw jacks from either Toyoto (p/u) or Chevy full size trucks/tahoe/suberban etc. Either a pretty inexpensive at local wrecking yards.

-Jeff

I like the Range Rover/Disco hydraulic jacks for every day use. They telescope so they can go quite high. If you have to have a HiLift to impress the Park Rangers. then buy one and bolt it down somewhere for show. In use they are quite use-less. Well, they're OK for lifting and rocking the vehicle sideways, falling off the jack. If that's what you mean to do....
    Also of far more help is a simple square of 3/4 plywood. 1x1 foot or maybe 1.5x1.5. A couple short bits of 4x4 wood block is also good to have. Having a good solid base to put the jack on often trumps it's ability to go high.
    Do you have an 88 or 109? different storage options for each.

While not cheap, I've found that SafeJacks has some really useful items. Everything from stable baseplates for bottle jacks to brackets which better hold crossmembers, leaf springs and axle tubes.

As for storage, since I use a bottle jack on my 88, it sits nicely in the storage bin under the driver's seat.

I have a 109, Australian built 1980, military. Ordered a Discovery jack on Ebay. Storage options?

Thanks for your help! (I think you gave me advice earlier on LED headlamps, and that worked out very nicely).
    1980 Series III (Australian military)

Quote Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
    I like the Range Rover/Disco hydraulic jacks for every day use.
    Same here. Got one on ebay in new condition for $30 or so with the accessory kit: rod, lug wrench (even fits my IIA) and wheel chocks. I suspect they come out of wrecks, so keep an eye out - I see them fairly often.