Thread: Cummins R2.8 repower?

Default Cummins R2.8 repower?

Has anyone attempted this conversion in a series truck yet? Seems like it would be a great option if you could afford it.

There is a person here that put a 12 valve in a 109. Quality of work was outstanding but i hear i hear it has vibration issues at speed.

I am interested.

Quote Originally Posted by SummitRover View Post
    I am interested.
    Me too, for a D110 repower. The thing is the costs don't jive. I'd love to keep my 110 diesel since it already is, but here's the breakdown:

R2.8 - $9000
    Adapter to go to R380/LT77 - $2200
    That's $11g's before a wrench has even been turned... and you know you'll need more parts along the way, and fab work.

I can do an LS1 swap for probably less than half that.

But depending on how my Toyota straight 6 swap in the 109 turns out, I may go that route on the 110. Hell I have a 1JZ just laying around.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

I agree, but I have also been quoted $10k - $15k for an upgraded 300tdi with upgraded intercooler and necessary accessories including install of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by jp- View Post
    Me too, for a D110 repower. The thing is the costs don't jive. I'd love to keep my 110 diesel since it already is, but here's the breakdown:

R2.8 - $9000
    Adapter to go to R380/LT77 - $2200
    That's $11g's before a wrench has even been turned... and you know you'll need more parts along the way, and fab work.

I can do an LS1 swap for probably less than half that.

But depending on how my Toyota straight 6 swap in the 109 turns out, I may go that route on the 110. Hell I have a 1JZ just laying around.

I'd think the 4BT would be an easier and far less expensive option. A friend recently put one in an F150 and it netted 400/700 power numbers using a stock 6BT turbo and a large intercooler. That was about a $15k project. In stock form, the power numbers aren't worth the effort IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by distributorguy View Post
    I'd think the 4BT would be an easier and far less expensive option. A friend recently put one in an F150 and it netted 400/700 power numbers using a stock 6BT turbo and a large intercooler. That was about a $15k project. In stock form, the power numbers aren't worth the effort IMHO.
    There's a few guys who have done the 4BT's in Rovers. They have mixed reviews. The 4BT is heavy and noisy. A Series Rover isn't known for its sound dampening, and the engine noise coupled with the road noise I hear is excessive. That and a few other driver annoyances. Most said they wouldn't do it again. The R2.8 I think has enough refinement to be a good fit. It's primarily a cost issue for me, but I'm a few years away from redoing my 110, so maybe I will revaluate it then.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

I too looked at this swap... I have an Series IIa 109" military-issue diesel with a non-Rover replacement engine (replaced in 70's or 80's). Though costs would be high they would not be prohibitive - my concerns were that the drive line couldn't handle 200hp/400lbft - replacing everything under the truck then becomes too complicated AND cost prohibitive. Would love to be convinced otherwise...