Thread: Original Lovato propane system, 1980 series III, Australian military

Default Original Lovato propane system, 1980 series III, Australian military

My 1980 series III came with a big propane tank in tank in the back, and a Lovato system for switching between gasoline and propane fuel. I think it was original equipment, the vehicle was Australian military and hasn't been modified. I never paid much attention to the propane hardware, and recently decided to remove the propane tank, since it takes up a lot of space. Imagine my surprise (and fascination) when it turned out the tank was still full of propane! So I started taking a look at the dual fuel system. Looks to be well built, and intact. A small controller (marked Lovato) mounted under the dashboard has a switch to select fuel.

Naturally I'm now trying to resurrect the old propane system.. with a fire extinguisher near at hand. A solenoid valve under the hood controls the supply of propane to the carburetor air intake. When I apply 12V to the solenoid, a burst of propane is released. But the control system isn't working. When I set the Lovato switch to propane, the (gasoline) fuel pump shuts off, as it should, the engine continues to run for a minute on residual gasoline in the carb, but the solenoid does not open to release the flow of propane, so the engine stops. Is anyone familiar with this system? I'd appreciate any tips. Am wondering if the solenoid is proportional or on/off (i.e. how is the mixture controlled rich vs. lean?)
    1980 Series III (Australian military)

I have been following Rovers for about 25 years. And with owning an Ex-MOD series 2a, I have been interested in Military Rovers for the exact same amount of time. I have never seen or heard about what you describe. Would love to see some pictures posted. Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    I have been following Rovers for about 25 years. And with owning an Ex-MOD series 2a, I have been interested in Military Rovers for the exact same amount of time. I have never seen or heard about what you describe. Would love to see some pictures posted. Cheers,
    Six pictures attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7537.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	12731   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7541.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	12732   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7540.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	12733  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7552.JPG 
Views:	190 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	12734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7550.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	12735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rover.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	12736  

1980 Series III (Australian military)