Thread: Recommendations for Hard Top Storage - '68 IIa 88

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Recommendations for Hard Top Storage - '68 IIa 88

I just received my soft top seatbelt mounting kit from our hosts and plan to remove my hard top this weekend. Please point me to some good recommendations for summertime hard top storage options.

I assume the simple answer is find a clean and out of the way spot in the garage then cover it with a tarp. Just want to make sure I'm not missing any key bits of wisdom that will help me make sure I don't wreck my top.

Thanks

Wes

I have an above ground deck behind my house, and years ago rigged up a winch system under it. I could drive the Landy under the deck, unbolt the top, run two 2X4s through the sides of the roof then winch it up.
    I had a pretty elaborate setup with four ropes running through pulleys to a central ring, then a fifth rope from the ring through another pulley to a winch of the sort used to pull boats onto their trailers. It worked pretty well, but I eventually tired of driving topless and removed the rig from under the deck...

Sounds like a cool setup.

I think I am going to shuffle the garage a bit to allow for a shelf positioned behind the truck. I can then enlist a buddy to help move the top off (and on) without pullies or ropes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by erik88lr View Post
    I have an above ground deck behind my house, and years ago rigged up a winch system under it. I could drive the Landy under the deck, unbolt the top, run two 2X4s through the sides of the roof then winch it up.
    I had a pretty elaborate setup with four ropes running through pulleys to a central ring, then a fifth rope from the ring through another pulley to a winch of the sort used to pull boats onto their trailers. It worked pretty well, but I eventually tired of driving topless and removed the rig from under the deck...

You can see my set up in the background of this photo. Super easy hoist I found on Amazon and mounted to the garage ceiling studs. Top removal and storage is now a one person job.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2753.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	12796

I built a wood platform. Suspended it from the ceiling by chains at two corners (so platform was hanging perpendicular to the ground). Winched the hard top up. Swung the platform up and parallel to the ground. Connected chains at the other two corners of the platform. Lowered the hard top down onto the platform. Over engineered but that was half the fun.

Name:	IMG_2873.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	12837

Name:	IMG_2872.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	12838