Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake lights not working...

Default Brake lights not working...

Have a ‘66 2A and had a buddy following me yesterday and he noticed that my brake lights weren’t working. All the markers work, rear, front, flashers...Checked the fuses(?) and still have no voltage at the socket with someone stepping on the pedal. Thinking possible ground issue? Any thoughts?

Could be a ground condition or the switch itself.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

The switch is only about 6 months old, I think I saw somewhere that if you had air in the lines it could affect the switch?

Air in the brake lines might cause a problem with the shuttle valve and warning light (if you have them), but not the brake lights. I've had new brake pedal switches fail right out of the box. Try connecting the brake switch wires together and see if the lights come on, it will eliminate that from the mix. Could be a bad wire, a ground, a light socket, bad connection, etc. Take it one thing at a time, and a test meter or light would be helpful.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '70 Rover 3500S

Thank you for all the help! I assumed that the only switch was the 5 way hydraulic switch that is mounted down on the frame, is there another switch up around the pedal as well?

The 5 way junction is the distribution point for brake fluid from the master to the wheel cylindars. The switch is elsewhere.

Look inside, under the dash, where the Brake pedal pivots. There is a two wire plunger type switch.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '70 Rover 3500S

Well I guess that makes sense...not quite sure what I was thinking regarding the 5 way junction, but there are two wires running to mine and I thought there was a switch involved there somehow? Definitely didn’t know about the one at the pedal pivot point though. Thanks guys, troubleshooting this stuff is all kind of new to me.

OK, the five-way valve is a Shuttle Valve, it does have wires that go to a warning light on the dash. This activates if there is a failure in one of the lines, an internal shuttle (kinda like a piston) shifts over to block the offending port, and would later need to be manually reset after a line is repaired.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '70 Rover 3500S

@mearstrae all due respect but you are just wrong. On these early trucks the switch is on the junction. It is hydraulicly actuated when you put the brakes on. No shuttle no dash warning lamp. Green wire to switch. These switches do fail. get a new one. Good idea to bled the lines after replacing the switch.