Thread: Help Needed for Starter Removal

Default Help Needed for Starter Removal

1970 Series IIa, 2.25 engine

With the advice of a handful of fellow rover enthusiasts it's been determined that my starter is the reason why my truck wont turnover.

1) Some have suggested removing,
    cleaning and re-lubricating the starter while others have suggested simply replacing it. Anyone have thoughts on which is the best option? If replacement is the better bet is there a suggestion?

2) With either approach I'll need to remove the existing starter. Can anyone help me with basic instructions on how to remove the starter....and I mean basic. I'm just learning to work on my vehicle.

jared

Jared, if you are just starting to work on your Landy and want basic instructions I'd invest in a service manual. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Land-Rover-Re.../dp/1783180293

It'll walk you through the steps needed to diagnose and repair or replace the components of your truck.

Have fun!

Jared -

I have a Series III. I am no auto repair whiz. However, with a Haynes Land Rover Series II, IIA and III Services and Repair book I have tackled a few jobs (the book has a "degree of difficulty" indicator for different jobs so you don't bite off more than you can chew). My starter motor (original) was locking up - I had to thump it with a block of wood to release it so it would engage. I decided to replace it myself with a new after market starter. While it requires some gymnastics to remove the old and then install the new it is a job which the relatively handy can do with time and patience.