Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have any forum members driven a Series lll cross country?

Default Have any forum members driven a Series lll cross country?

Hello, I'm picking up a Series lll in Seattle and running it cross country through Idaho, Montana and North Dakota, Minnesota Wisco, etc all the way to Cape Cod. It has a 2.25 petrol engine and is in very good shape. Is still a sprung suspension no parabolic etc. Have any of you done this? Just looking for advice.I am aware of the limitations. Much of the trip will be done on back roads. I'm taking three weeks to complete so I can fly fish in Idaho and Montana. Mainly car camping with good gear. Any and all advice, comments, routes, scenic and fishing related are welcomed.

Much thanks,
    Squid

Chiming in as I'd like to see what others say- I was just thinking about this recently. The longest trip I've made in a day in mine is about 200 miles. I stopped every hour or so. I'd like to hear what others recommend doing to keep a long cross country in a stock Series truck palatable.
    1976 RHD Series 3 - SOLD
    1989 Land Rover 90 LHD
    1940 Piper J3F-50 Cub

Here are a few blogs about relatively recent long distance trips:

https://thewildrovers.wordpress.com/

http://cambrianadventures.blogspot.com/2012/?m=0

http://www.seriestrek.com/trips.html

They are pretty good reads..........

Regards,

David

I've done Oregon to NJ in a 2a 109, 2.25 petrol. We made a vacation out of it, about three weeks. an AMAZING time.
    An overdrive is key. We could cruise on the highways with traffic and also had "extra" gears to make those long uphills go smoother. Without an overdrive I don't think this would be bearable.

Now if you're strapped for time, that would be a different story. Having to rush or hit mileage deadlines woudl be stressful. Especially when youre stranded for two days fixing a broken truck. That can be fairly enjoyable or incredibly stressful.

Go FOR IT!

~Steve
    ---- 1969 Bugeye ----
    ---- 1962 Dormobile ----

I've done a few 3-5 day trips.

My advice/thoughts:

- Overdrive is pretty important if you are going to be hitting steep hills or mountain regions. "Splitting" 3rd is super important for engine braking on long downhills so you don't go so slow in 3rd gear that traffic is ticked off or go so fast in 4th that you need to ride the brakes. It's also important for splitting 3rd gear on long uphills where 4th can't cut it and 3rd will scream and slow you down too much (ticked off traffic).

- Use Google's Map app. Use the "avoid highways" feature. Mainstreets and backroads will show you true Americana. Also - those backroads and speeds are better suited to a Series Truck. I try to stay off the highway as much as possible.

- If you have a home base is Seattle, try a few shakedown trips/dry runs. Do an all day round trip somewhere. Make sure everything runs well. Series trucks that have only been driven around town on short hops all the time act differently when run for hours on end and constant higher speeds.

- That’s a 3000+ mile trip. Make sure the oil has been changed and everything else is full (both diffs, gear box, transfer box, overdrive (if equipped), both front swivel balls and steering box.

- Bose noise cancelling headphones are your friend - and, you can listen to/hear music.

- Bring Spares. Others will have their own thoughts but I like to bring a tool roll, spare bulbs, spare distributor, spare coil, extra 90wt oil (can be hard to find on the road).

- Read this book. The driver, and his Series 3, loop from DC to Canada and join a caravan/expedition driving from the Canadian Border to the Border of Mexico - with lot's of adventures and trail riding in-between.

- Cell phone holder (inside windshield)

- Bring a 5 weight and 6 weight! Call ahead to the local shops to see what’s takin.

Good luck!
    Last edited by lumpydog; 08-03-2018 at 06:34 PM.
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

This is a great thread about something I've wanted to do but never knew if my truck could handle it.

My plan has been to drive from Dallas to South Carolina via I-80 and see the sights.

Hey Squid - one other thing to add to my comments above.

The guy I bought my truck from purchased it site unseen in 1993. He was from VT and flew out to Olympia Washington and picked it up. He drove it across county with his brother all the way back to VT. Pretty similar trip to yours! But... No cell phones, no internet, etc. I met him and can tell you that there was not a ton of pre-planning. Pick up the truck and drive.

Don’t overthink this. One way or another you will make it. Go for it and share here if you can!
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Name:  D859B573-8895-4496-8B30-9DBC9D55C484.jpeg
Views: 706
Size:  120.7 KB

Here’s the truck. Finalizing all details. Taking 3 weeks in Sept to make the journey. Thanks to all for support/ suggestions.

Best
    Squid

I did Albuquerque, NM to Raleigh, NC few years back. Great trip, tons of fun, but ultimately a mistake. Sounds like you're in the right track, however!
    Mine was a mistake because I ultimately killed the 2.25 diesel by pushing it fairly hard for 3 days straight, 1800 miles all on interstate 40. Truck had sat idol for a bit before the trip. A buddy and I flew out one morning and went over the truck that afternoon. Checked and changed fluids, fixed electrics, and inspected mechanicals. Then pulled out next am and drive approximately 12 hours a day for the next three days. Motor burnt copious amounts of oil early but tightened up throughout the trip. We had zero problems along the trip, but as soon as we arrived home, truck got increasingly difficult to start and ultimately required new engine.
    So, my advice is take your time, don't push it hard, and enjoy the trip!!!

'91 RRC, SWB (tuned up quite nicely, new water pump, needs radiator repaired or replaced and brakes!) Sold😔
    '74 S III, diesel, 109, rhd, hard top
    (patiently awaiting cummings 4bt, nv 4500, and np200!)
    Finally IN PROGRESS!! Sold😖

Having driven from the top right corner of the country to the bottom left corner of the country in 5 days in a SIII, my recommendation would be to install a "normal" cable-operated throttle pedal before the trip--The funky, high factory pedal has your foot at an increasingly excruciating angle that gets to be a real endurance challenge after hour 5 on the road.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).