Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have any forum members driven a Series lll cross country?

Hello Squid,
    I drove my IIA the 475 mile (one way) between our home in SE BC and the Seattle area several times. I did all but one of them in one long day. I have a Fairey overdrive and parabolic springs and survived it ok despite being past age 70 at the time.

Look up and read Peter's book recommended by lumpydog- its a great read and accurate. My wife and I did the trip with him and his co-drivers. We drove our 94 Disco. There was about an equal number of series rigs and coilers. The only series breakdown that I remember was an overdrive failure on a series three. It took about an hour to diagnose the problem and remove the overdrive. Several coilers had mechanical problems (including ours).

As soon as we got home I began to look for as series rig and now have two.

There is a professionally done VHS tape floating around of that trip titled Border to Border Trans-American Trek 98.

Good luck on your trip,
    Cheers, Brian

I drove my IIA from Maine to Alaska and then from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego over about 5 months. What everyone has said here is good sense and of value. Things might break; you'll be able to get them fixed. People will be eager to help. Seconding the overdrive notion. I had a Fairey then which I drove until it was scrap metal; I have a Roamerdrive now which is worth it. Use it all the time. Good luck.
    Tom
    1969 Series IIA 88"
    I like it because I understand how it works (mostly).

Thanks for all the helpful hints. Getting ready to bring through customs soon. Put on new 4 core radiator as well as new fuel tank. Truck has inspected out well. Only 18,000 k on clock and has lead head with hardened vales, 5 bearing..... Getting excited. Off to British Columbia to pick up on Sept. 18.

Here is link to photos of truck. Jeff Aronson of Rovers Mag has been very helpful. Thanks Jeff! I'll update shortly if you guys want to come along! Best Squid!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...tB?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Squidrow View Post
    I'll update shortly if you guys want to come along!
    Please do!

Great looking truck - looking forward to reading about the trip. Fishing included - tight lines!
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holmes View Post
    Hello Squid,
    I drove my IIA the 475 mile (one way) between our home in SE BC and the Seattle area several times. I did all but one of them in one long day. I have a Fairey overdrive and parabolic springs and survived it ok despite being past age 70 at the time.

Look up and read Peter's book recommended by lumpydog- its a great read and accurate. My wife and I did the trip with him and his co-drivers. We drove our 94 Disco. There was about an equal number of series rigs and coilers. The only series breakdown that I remember was an overdrive failure on a series three. It took about an hour to diagnose the problem and remove the overdrive. Several coilers had mechanical problems (including ours).

As soon as we got home I began to look for as series rig and now have two.

There is a professionally done VHS tape floating around of that trip titled Border to Border Trans-American Trek 98.

Good luck on your trip,
    Cheers, Brian

Yup, read it in a night. It was great and sounded like an epic trip! My goal is to go slow and not mess up truck en route. We will be cruising along US 2 most of the time except for a quick drop down to Wyoming. We are going to take "Going To The Sun RD" through Glacier which i'm sure will be a test for the 2.25. Thanks for all the thoughts.
    Best,
    Squid

Default 107SW from Seattle to Cabo san Lucas and back

I haven't done the cross country trip in a Series truck, but I did drive my 1957 107SW from Seattle to San Diego to Cabo and back through Utah and Idaho. It was an amazing trip. Surfed, camped and explored. At a nice slow pace (max speed was 55 down hill) It was awesome. I had only two mechanical issues. One, was my generator went out...well, started to go out. The front bearing started falling apart. That was fixed on a lovely beach in Baja. The other was my rear diff exploding near the Bonneville Salt Flats. I limped back to Salt Lake City and Bill and some of the guys from Great Basin Rovers helped me out. They had a matching date stamped diff and set me up at one their houses to do the work. I guess this is the long way of saying go forth and have fun, if you haven't already gone. Yeah, you might have issue, but oh well, part of the journey.

Here's a couple shots:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/9-ml_3td...ighteightfilms
    https://www.instagram.com/p/uzaWsktd...ighteightfilms

Here's to great journey's...

Matt
    Seattle, WA
    1973 SerIII 88 Regular

In 1973 I bought a brand new green '72 Series 3 88.($4500!) Within a few months I drove it from Boston, Massachusetts to Salt Lake City, UT via mostly I-80, and at 55 MPH (being new). 2504 miles and 4.5 days later, I rolled into Salt Lake. Not a single issue, No overdrive, even. but then, it was brand new. It had many adventures in the West, and when I sold it 14 years later, it was still running well and looking good. And I got $3500 for it. $1000 for 14 years' use! not bad.

Bring a small fortune in your wallet for fuel cost.
    Cheers. Cedryck.