Thread: Hand Brake Drum Removal

Default Hand Brake Drum Removal

I cannot seem to get the handbrake drum off the flange; I backed off linkage and adjuster but no luck so far.

i removed the drive shaft and the castellated nut underneath was barely hand tight and there seems to be some movement in this flange.

Thinkng about using a puller to remove the drum and flange at once; anyone tried this before?

There is clear evidence of a long term leak from the rear seal.

Thanks for any suggestions;

Tom

I just went through this. Obviously, you need to remove the 6 nuts on the drum. Next pull the boot off the expander. Disconnect the linkage and remove the two holding clips. Now slip a screwdriver between each side of the drum and backing plate (two screwdrivers) and pry. If this doesn't work, you can also remove the two nuts on the stationary shoe holder (opposite the expander). Once all those are loose, there should be nothing holding the brakes to the drum.

I went back with an X-Engineering disc brake kit. Have not tested it yet, but it eliminates several of the problems with the Series drum e-brake.
    https://foundry4x4.co.uk/index.php?r...&product_id=70
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.