Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series 2a Can't shift into 2nd gear from 1st.

Default Series 2a Can't shift into 2nd gear from 1st.

Hello all, getting frustrated with this transmission. Having trouble getting in the second from first gear. I replaced the slave cylinder and clutch. It just wants to grind and will not go into second either standing still or driving. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Are you double clutching? S2A has no synchro between 1st and 2nd. Proper procedure to shift up from 1st is to press clutch in, shift to neutral, release clutch, press clutch, shift into second, and release clutch.
    Shifting down from 2nd to 1st while moving is a fine art and requires this same method with a throttle blip in the middle. Generally, I advise against it.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Two things come to mind. Can you change easily from third to second on the move or is it only changing from first to Second or from stationary ? Stationary , its worth touching the lever to 4th before second, this will stop the shafts spinning if there is some drag. On my Series, 1st to 2nd goes in easily if I give a slight pause in neutral as I move between the two. 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st needs one to Double declutch as 5th Gear has mentioned.

I've tried everything. Even standing still it won't go into 2nd. This all just started happening suddenly. I have to force it into first but it goes in. Then second is impossible upshifting . Even in the garage standing still . I had to limp it home in 3rd yesterday.

I've tried everything. Even standing still it won't go into 2nd. This all just started happening suddenly. I have to force it into first but it goes in. Then second is impossible upshifting . Even in the garage standing still . I had to limp it home in 3rd yesterday.

A few more things to look for from an old thread:

https://forums.roversnorth.com/showt...-into-2nd-gear!
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Been doing some soul searching myself as I rebuild my gearbox. Staring at alot of exploded drawings in the Parts manual and fixing odds and ends.

There's alot that has to go right to shift into gear and move along. So, I'd say just follow best practices and eliminate what it's NOT, and work from the outside, in.Correct me anyone if I'm wrong, but

So, that means:

* Take the right floorboards out, and the transmission hump. It's a little bit of a pain, but you can clean it all up, get some new floor bolts to fix your rusty ones, and make it easier for next time. With those off, you can see everything. Remove the access panel in the center of the seatbox, too.

* Use the access bung hole in the bell Housing to see if your clutch cylinder is indeed moving the clutch. Rule out the clutch mechanism.

* You might want to remove your main shifter and access that plate over the shifter sliders. Careful not to lose all the springs and little retention ball bearings. These are 3 shafts that go back and forth. They are reversed from the shifter action, because the ball joint on the shifter acts as a pivot. But it's basically 1)Reverse, 2)1st/2nd, 3/3rd/4rth. Make sure the shifter actually actuated the full range of motion. It should just slip into these 3 walled cups on the shafts.Eliminate the shifter mechanism as the problem.

* There are some retention ball bearings and springs which make it so you don't accidentally shift into 2 gears. Make sure you're not stuck with "half 3rd gear" on while trying to get into 2nd. Eliminate that possibility. The shifter shafts should have a satisfying 'click' as those spring-loaded balls snap into some cup notches, holding it in 3 discreet positions(forward, middle(neutral),back).

* With the shifter selector plate off, you can also see the inside of the gearbox...see how it works. You'll see those 3 shifter sliders correspond to 3 shafts: revers, 1st/2nd shaft, 3rd/4rth shaft. And there is a yoke that slides and pushes a synchro back and forth(may not have synchro on 2A 1st/2nd). But, basically, you can see when you slide the shifter slider, it moves a brass gear synchronizer onto place. Make aure that all works. Is it binding? If so, you might have to pull the gearbox and tear it down, replacing what's worn.

But maybe it could be something along the way...some misalignment or loose piece. At least you'll know what you're getting into...and some mechanic can't tell you a big fish story. You'll get an idea of what needs replacing.Good luck.
    ...┌───────┬──,,
    ...|______OD__|__\\_____
    ...d ..__ .........° |°... | ..__....p
    »»└/ | \────┴──┴/ | \─┘≡
    ..../..@........................@

1973 Series 3, 109

As its happened suddenly ,it may be worth draining the gearbox oil to see if any metal comes out with it. I am wondering if something such as the bronze bush that the 2nd speed gear runs on is breaking up and jamming things. The S2A LR Workshop manual has a good cross sectional drawing that may help your investigation
    Name:  20220607_222652 (3)_LI.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  99.6 KB

You could have a broken layshaft....or mainshaft. It's probably better not 2 drive it at all [if u plan 2 try & save it] cuz driving it could do even more harm. My $100 rule: You can easily do $100 worth of additional damage for every foot driven. 1 thing to check: Has your 1/2 gear shift fork come loose on the sahft[?] easily checked by removing the shift rail cover] the pinch bolt might have broken or come loose. Does your shift lever move to where you usually find 2nd gear or is it blocked from moving there? Check 2 see if when you select 1st if the handbrake drum turns. R u good in 3rd & 4th??

vlad has it pretty well covered. I'll add that he's obviously driven this and the issue is sudden. I'd suspect he has one of the forks not where it's suppose to be. I would (put in nuetral first) take the top of the shift housing off and look in there with a flash light and insure the forks are all aligned in a straight row. if not then that's the problem.
    very carefully with the slightest tension on the shift lever move it from far left to right. if those forks are not aligned you will feel it in the shift lever.
    Otherwise maybe the clutch is dragging ? I've never heard of a broke lay shaft vlad!