Thread: Remove Mechanical Fuel Pump

Default Remove Mechanical Fuel Pump

(63 IIa 88) I installed an electric fuel pump several years ago, and now I want to remove the mechanical fuel pump, as I will never use it again.

1) Is there a block off plate that I can buy to replace the fuel pump?

2) How do you remove the fuel pump mounting plate/bracket (aka Fuel Pump Cover) that has the 6 bolts, and two studs (to mount the fuel pump) as I want to replace that gasket as well. I've removed all 6 bolts, and the mounting plate is not easily removed, and before I start trying to pry, I just want to make sure that it is removable.
    Last edited by timc930; 04-28-2019 at 10:43 PM.
    Tim
    63 IIA 88" (Beach with the dogs)
    05 L322 (Daily)
    95 RRC SWB
    05 E320 (Wife)
    86 930 (Rush on boost, 400HP and climbing....)
    A few boring BMW's for the kids (E30, E36, E46, E53)

Quote Originally Posted by timc930 View Post
    (63 IIa 88) I installed an electric fuel pump several years ago, and now I want to remove the mechanical fuel pump, as I will never use it again.

1) Is there a block off plate that I can buy to replace the fuel pump?

2) How do you remove the fuel pump mounting plate/bracket (aka Fuel Pump Cover) that has the 6 bolts, and two studs (to mount the fuel pump) as I want to replace that gasket as well. I've removed all 6 bolts, and the mounting plate is not easily removed, and before I start trying to pry, I just want to make sure that it is removable.
    There is a block off plate. I bought one form our hosts a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I can't locate the invoice so I don't have the part number.

Yes that plate is removable so pry away. The gasket part number is RNC984.

Just be aware that if you order the block off plate and gasket that the 6 bolts that hold the existing fuel pump plate are too long and you won't get a tight seal (ask me how I know). You will have to use either shorter bolts or more washers to get that plate to seal.

Mike

So the block-off plate that you bought replaces the 6 bolt plate? I thought it would be a 2 bolt plate that would bolt to the 6 bolt plate and replace just the fuel pump???? Basically covering up the FP hole that is in the 6 bolt plate....confusing enough!!!!
    Tim
    63 IIA 88" (Beach with the dogs)
    05 L322 (Daily)
    95 RRC SWB
    05 E320 (Wife)
    86 930 (Rush on boost, 400HP and climbing....)
    A few boring BMW's for the kids (E30, E36, E46, E53)

Quote Originally Posted by timc930 View Post
    So the block-off plate that you bought replaces the 6 bolt plate? I thought it would be a 2 bolt plate that would bolt to the 6 bolt plate and replace just the fuel pump???? Basically covering up the FP hole that is in the 6 bolt plate....confusing enough!!!!
    Correct - the plate replaces the current 6 bolt plate.