Thread: Removing Series 2A 109 SW headliner?

Default Removing Series 2A 109 SW headliner?

Hi all. I have been searching high and low to find a good set of instructions in removing a 109 SW headliner. This has the tropical roof. I’ve mildly had it down, but I can’t get it out. I need to do some repairs and I’m planning on replacing all the rusty screws from the tropical top sunscreen.

Any help or guidance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dartmouthbrian View Post
    Hi all. I have been searching high and low to find a good set of instructions in removing a 109 SW headliner. This has the tropical roof. I’ve mildly had it down, but I can’t get it out. I need to do some repairs and I’m planning on replacing all the rusty screws from the tropical top sunscreen.

Any help or guidance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
    Im not sure exactly what you are asking, are you asking how to get it out in one piece? So that you can re-use it, or just how to take it down and out to replace. I did a white headliner in my 88, it was very old and torn, I remember what looked like hay or grass behind it, the mice loved it. But I digress, I remember small strips of metal framing on the edges that are sewn into the perimeter, be very careful when moving the headliner when disconnected from the roof as they are often not finished metal pieces and "sharp" dont ask me how I know.You may have to carefully bend the framing inorder for it to clear the large rear door to exit from the truck.
    cheers best of luck.

Thanks! I was asking how to get the headliner out in general. The bars on mine were bending and being 50+ yrs old, I didn’t want them to break. I did get it out by gently bending them. And yes, you’re right the metal is super sharp. I didn’t cut myself, but almost.

Thanks for the response here. I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by dartmouthbrian View Post
    Thanks! I was asking how to get the headliner out in general. The bars on mine were bending and being 50+ yrs old, I didn’t want them to break. I did get it out by gently bending them. And yes, you’re right the metal is super sharp. I didn’t cut myself, but almost.

Thanks for the response here. I appreciate it!
    Yeah, no problem, I ended up not replacing a stock headliner, (I have a regular top, no safari windows), ended up using some grey indoor outdoor carpet, it molded nicely to the top form, but looks good. Hope you have a worthwhile experience, cheers.