Thread: new door seals seem to not fit properly???

Default new door seals seem to not fit properly???

I just replaced all the rubber seals around the doors on my IIA. They seem way too big/thick! I cant close the doors from the inside, I have to get out and push them closed. If I adjust the strikers out so I can close the doors from the seat, the doors then stick out from the body 1/2 inch or more.

Also,the door seal at the bulkhead also sticks out between the door and the bulkhead unless I guide it back into the place it belongs by hand, slowly as I close the door-.

What have I done wrong??

P.S., While I'm on the subject, The tailgate seals dont fit and the new vent seals dont allow me to close the vents either!!

Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    I just replaced all the rubber seals around the doors on my IIA. They seem way too big/thick! I cant close the doors from the inside, I have to get out and push them closed. If I adjust the strikers out so I can close the doors from the seat, the doors then stick out from the body 1/2 inch or more.

Also,the door seal at the bulkhead also sticks out between the door and the bulkhead unless I guide it back into the place it belongs by hand, slowly as I close the door-.

What have I done wrong??

P.S., While I'm on the subject, The tailgate seals dont fit and the new vent seals dont allow me to close the vents either!!
    This is common. I think the replacement seals are just too thick or the rubber is too stiff. Either way, they take yearssssss to break in. Someone posted years ago that on the vent seals the best way to get them to seat was to have a friend push on them from the outside while you pull on them from the inside to get the latch on the highest notch, then don't open them for 10 years...

I think this is why many people went to the Defender seals.

On my NADA, I spaced out the door catches some and just lived with having to slam the doors, but yes, it was annoying.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Well great- I ponied up 350 + dollars on a brand new set of seals that are worse than useless....

I guess I'll try trimming them down a bit, and if that doesnt work, drilling out the rivets so I can remove them and toss the whole sorry lot in the trash!

Thank You for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    Well great- I ponied up 350 + dollars on a brand new set of seals that are worse than useless....

I guess I'll try trimming them down a bit, and if that doesnt work, drilling out the rivets so I can remove them and toss the whole sorry lot in the trash!

Thank You for the reply!

Honestly, I don't know why they keep selling them. I haven't heard of them working for anyone.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Been there, done that. OEM, defender, lots of money; and found that run of the mill auto-store seals work better and without the hassle and expense. Just measure and find some that look like they will fill the gap.