My 1991 RRC was dismantled by me down to chassis engine and running gear in order to make a Tomcat. All the wiring ended up in a large trash can. I was not sure of the engine's status so I wired a start button (with alligator clips) to the starter relay, coil and alternator. Pressed the button, the motor turned over and started OK (I had directly wired the fuel pump to the battery). I let it run for a while and realized I could not stop the engine from running without starving it of fuel.

Stupid question: how do I wire the start button to act as a stop button once the engine is running. Is it just a matter of disconnecting the coil somehow? There must be a bunch of relays etc., in the trash can. This not really a RRC question but more of a basic wiring question. I installed this about 4 years ago and all the alligator clips are rusty. I have been working on this the last few months and just installed 2 Optima batteries in parallel as I plan to make everything switchable (fans for the rear mounted radiator, oil and transmission cooler, lights etc) independent of the (non-existent) ignition switch. I pressed the start button and the engine turned over, so the old temporary wiring is still working - I had not installed the fuel pump and tank yet so it could not start.

I don't want to know how a lot of complicated electronic/computer things work. That is why I want to go back to the basics, pre-computer, like in the RRC of 1970. I will not reinstall the ancient FI, ABS braking system etc. No computers! The brakes have been redone from calipers to a new (US) master cylinder. I installed an Edelbrock 4-barrel. The coil is the original and the alternator and starter motor are also original, although I had them rebuilt. Does anyone else appreciated the "back to basics" approach, or am I just a Luddite?