Thread: broken diz drive shaft "ears"

Default broken diz drive shaft "ears"

The 4th distributor is on the way. Over the past 4 years, I have been breaking off the "ears" that connect to the drive in the block. The first one was very old so chalked it up to that. The next had drifted up in the collar so thought it was that (at the National Rally Leadville 2017!). After the next, I replaced the collar with the newer thinner type as the old one had a stripped thread to hold the diz still. Now, it happened again!
    I did the rebuild in 2003 (with tremendous help from the LRO Digest and Green Bible) and have maybe 20k miles on it with excellent oil pressure. So- the first 12 years were fine. What ever could be happening now? -Rik in MN 1960 SWB SW w Ser III block

Good evening.
    Pics paint a thousand words.
    When you say the ears, are you talking about the three bolts holding the Triangular plate ????
    Do you have this type of coupling ????
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/LANDROVER-S...-/390679381901
    Or this type ????
    https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.p...eries_11___11a

whitehillbilly

Default snapping off the ears

The groove in those images is breaking off the ears at the bottom of the shaft of the distributors. The ears slot into the groove.

I have to get back out and pull this bad diz and replace w the new RN unit. Once I can see down the hole to the part, I should be able to see which of the listed images I have. Can I just magnet pull out the distributor drive gear? I haven't been that deep in the motor since the rebuild in 2002.

-RoverRik

Quote Originally Posted by whitehillbilly64 View Post
    Good evening.
    Pics paint a thousand words.
    When you say the ears, are you talking about the three bolts holding the Triangular plate ????
    Do you have this type of coupling ????
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/LANDROVER-S...-/390679381901
    Or this type ????
    https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.p...eries_11___11a

whitehillbilly

Hi RR.
    I recently fitted the dissy to my rebuilt 2 1/4 S3 petrol..
    I discovered I had fitted the oil pump vertical shaft 180 degrees out.
    I thought it was a simple case of turning the smaller coupling, in Images above 180 and refitting everything, so rotor pointed to No 1 cylinder at No 1 TDC on compression stroke
    When I did, which was advice given, I notice the dissy appeared to slightly move when the motor was running.
    If this was the case with yours, it would eventually break the ears off.
    I discovered Both upper and lower slots were offset. Lower one 1mm off centre.
    They will only go one way.
    With dissy out Look down hole and have someone turn the motor over. You will see if the coupling is fitted the correctly.

whitehillbilly

That would make sense-- one side getting all the torque and the other barely in the slot.

It would also make sense why it never happened before. I have a 50/50 chance each time of putting it in right. I was lucky the first few years then unlucky now.

I just ordered the oil pan gasket so I can inspect for debris. I may be able to get to it this weekend.

Thanks for the tips!

-Rik in MN

Rick, I'm in Shakopee and have a business called Advanced Distributors - repairing Lucas distributors for the last 14 years. I could probably help you out if you called me to bring your drive gear and distributor assembly down here for a once-over. Google the company for a phone number and a look at my website.