Thread: Series 1 or 2

Default Series 1 or 2

Good day
    My name is Sakkie and I am living in South Africa. I recently bought a Landrover in parts and at this point is trying to get all the info I can about the Landy. As far as I can determine the enjin and chassis numbers point to a series2A, but the chassis look like a series 1 late 54/55. (What I am told by a “expert”). Apparently there are a bend in the chassis only series 1 have. Will attempt to add fotos to illustrate. I cannot get a exact match on the chassis number and hope you will be able to assist.
    Chassis no 276800787
    Enjin no. 90140771A (2 and a 1/4 lt petrol)
    Gearbox no,s 156900101 and219467 with letters JD underneath.

I am a old car enthusiast and plan to restore the Landy if possible. I also own a vw 1960 Karmann Ghia, 80% restored and are a member of POMC. (Pretoria old motor club)

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Sakkie Fischer

Seems I cant add photos to this thread but the chassis side mount have a bended part apparently where the firewall is mounted. Hope this is enough fir someone to make a judgement on my problem and give advice!!

According to this website: https://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.C...bers.type.html

It looks like your chassis might be from 1955.
    The gearbox # is from 1959.
    And the engine is from a mid to late 70's truck.

Yes, some of the Series 1's had "bent" or offset outriggers that mounted to the bulkhead/firewall.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Thx JP. This is very help-full. Is this a 107 or 109 chassis?

If it's a 1955, it's a 107"
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.