Thread: Inner fender/wing protector?

Default Inner fender/wing protector?

Hey Guys,
    Has anyone rigged anything to keep rocks coming off of front tires from dinging the top of the wing from underneath? Just getting into body work repair on my 2a and the body man asked so I thought I’d throw it out there Incase anyone has tried it. Would a good “Rino Coat” work if sprayed on inside wing? Thanks in advance!

Go to an industrial rubber supply house and get some rubber sheeting (used in conveyor belts). They usually have remnants lying around that they will sell cheap. Make sure it is thick enough to hold its shape and not droop. I lined all 4 wheelwells this way - much quieter and keeps everything clean. Especially effective at protecting your bulkhead and footwells from sandblasting / rusting. Also protects all that exposed wiring and headlight bowls from decay.

Thank you, that sounds great. If I might, how did you adhere it to the Birmabright, bulkhead etc. silicone adhesive enough?

Quote Originally Posted by floorit View Post
    Thank you, that sounds great. If I might, how did you adhere it to the Birmabright, bulkhead etc. silicone adhesive enough?
    Front wheelwells: drill two small holes on the bottom lip of the front panel and attach the edge of the rubber. The back of the rubber easily attacheds to one of the cross supports. The rubber should be rigid enough so it stays in place on its own without drooping.

Rear wheelwells: Simply attach to the front / rear supports you see in the wheelwells. Very simple. Again, make sure that the rubber you get is thick enough to hold its sghape and not droop.

You can also install some vertical sheeting by simply bolting though the tub (rear) and interor of the inner wings (front).

I installed mine this way 20+ years ago and would never be without it.