Thread: Diagnose Coolant Leak - Dripping From Both Sides of Bellhousing

Default Diagnose Coolant Leak - Dripping From Both Sides of Bellhousing

I'm ALMOST done with my 10 year $XX,XXX SIII 109 project...so I figured it would be ok to go ahead and pick up a '06 LR3 with 150K for something to invest (waste) my time and money on.

The truck is in great shape...had dealer service (was a loaner) for first 90k miles and well maintained by one owner since...but has only been mine for 100 miles and is dripping coolant down both sides of transmission bellhousing...with no (or little) evidence of any leaks anywhere above the trans....see below:

Coolant is present on both sides of the transmission bellhousing and crossmember but, primarily the passenger side
    https://flic.kr/p/26MPDUv

The top of the engine, firewall, and top of trans at the back of the engine, on both sides, are all dry...but maybe the discoloration is evidence of evaporation?
    https://flic.kr/p/26MPDik

Coolant only seems to accumulate on the driveway while and after the car has cooled...and the highest up I have seen liquid coolant is on the bolts on both sides of the transmission bellhousing, dripping down onto the crossmember
    https://flic.kr/p/26MPDcP

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6411.jpg 
Views:	593 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	12703   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6412.jpg 
Views:	709 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	12704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6413.jpg 
Views:	776 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	12705  

'75 SIII 109 Diesel - I'm in deep.

I would think it's either the back of the cylinder head or the the intake manifold. I don't think there are any freeze plugs back there. Either way maybe some Nano Sealer might be a quick fix.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Default Coolant Leak Solved!

I tried Bars Stop Leak and K Seal, both widely recommended for stopping leaks, though not recommended by any of my mechanics for the coolant system of an LR3. Neither worked because the source of the leak was a long hairline crack in the intake manifold:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 5.18.59 PM.jpg 
Views:	770 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	12724

Pretty typical busted LR plastic cooling system part, none of which can be plugged with stop leak or repaired, and must be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by mearstrae View Post
    I would think it's either the back of the cylinder head or the the intake manifold. I don't think there are any freeze plugs back there. Either way maybe some Nano Sealer might be a quick fix.

'99 Disco II
    '95 R.R.C. Lwb (Gone...)
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S
    '75 SIII 109 Diesel - I'm in deep.