Thread: Clutch MC seeping

Default Clutch MC seeping

The clutch master cylinder on my left hand drive 1973 Ser. III 88" is seeping fluid down the clutch pedal. I've got a rebuild kit from our hosts, but am looking for some cheats on rebuilding it. Currently it's pretty well covered by the left front fender. Removing the fender would be a pain. Trying to work under the fender to remove the MC would require a contortionist. Can I not just disconnect the pedal and remove the MC innards from the footwell? Then I could lightly sand the bore, clean and lube it, and rebuild it with the parts in the kit. Anyone done that? Thanks!

erik

Hello Erik,

I undo the splash guard and steering box cover and the bolts holding fender to firewall. I then wedge a piece of wood to hold the fender just ar enough away so I can get at the master cyl. Its worked for me for many times.

Basil

Quote Originally Posted by Basil6 View Post
    Hello Erik,

I undo the splash guard and steering box cover and the bolts holding fender to firewall. I then wedge a piece of wood to hold the fender just ar enough away so I can get at the master cyl. Its worked for me for many times.

Basil
    That sounds like a good workaround, as long as I don't end up with a kink in the side of the fender.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil6 View Post
    Hello Erik,

Basil
    Just my 2 P here, I have never had much luck with rebulding, if I am going to take it out to rebuild I might as well replace with a new unit. Once pitting begins on the bore, it will continue fast, so I just replace.
    You should be able to remove the entire pedal box with the plunging unit still inserted.