Thread: Steering Relay Refit Orientation

Default Steering Relay Refit Orientation

Hi all, I have searched but have been unable to find clear instruction on how to refit the steering relay. The shop manual states "ensure the cast projection on the upper side of the relay housing is fitted to the driver's side of the vehicle". Is that referring to RHD or LHD? Is it possible to fit the relay wrong where it would then have to be rotated 180 degrees? I have seen pictures of restored LHD vehicles with the casting on the relay pointing both left and right. Does it matter which way it's installed?
    Thx,
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by westbound View Post
    Hi all, I have searched but have been unable to find clear instruction on how to refit the steering relay. The shop manual states "ensure the cast projection on the upper side of the relay housing is fitted to the driver's side of the vehicle". Is that referring to RHD or LHD? Is it possible to fit the relay wrong where it would then have to be rotated 180 degrees? I have seen pictures of restored LHD vehicles with the casting on the relay pointing both left and right. Does it matter which way it's installed?
    Thx,
    Ben
    The way I read it is the boss should point to the drivers side of the vehicle.ie if Left hand steering the boss should be pointing to the left . The illustration in the manual shows Right Hand steering fitting with the a note to say LH steering is symmetrically opposite . The orientation is to make sure one can access the filler, after installation, either a plug which is in the side of this boss or the fixing at the top adjacent to the boss . Often in practise no one checks the levels so the orientation if wrong, goes unnoticed. Name:  20240212_140212.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  88.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by roverp480 View Post
    The way I read it is the boss should point to the drivers side of the vehicle.ie if Left hand steering the boss should be pointing to the left . The illustration in the manual shows Right Hand steering fitting with the a note to say LH steering is symmetrically opposite . The orientation is to make sure one can access the filler, after installation, either a plug which is in the side of this boss or the fixing at the top adjacent to the boss . Often in practise no one checks the levels so the orientation if wrong, goes unnoticed. Name:  20240212_140212.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  88.1 KB
    Thank you for that info. You have confirmed the orientation does not impact the operation of the relay. I have a LHD SIII 109 and the boss points to the right, so technically it should be rotated 180 degrees. If the proper orientation is the casting boss left for LHD and boss right for RHD, the oil fillers will be obstructed by the relay arm! Regardless, I am leaving well alone since the operation is not impacted and my relay is a relatively new replacement that is currently not leaking any oil.

We would fit it with that screw on the side so it is most easily accessible when you want to remove it.....but any of the top 4 screws can also be removed for the same purpose: As a breather port when refilling