Thread: Valve cover gasket job

Default Valve cover gasket job

Howzit Rovers guys/gals.

I need to replace my valve cover gaskets or also called rocker covers.
    Does anybody know how many hours this job should take for a DIY mechanic
    w/ limited exp.
    I have the haynes manual and enough common sense to put things back properly
    once removed but am a little weary of the time and discomfort of being hunched
    over for X number of days.

And most important to me : do I have to remove the plenum chamber and or depressurize
    fuel injection system

Cheers-
    Last edited by landrover77; 10-01-2007 at 09:28 PM.

Default Easy Peasy

30 min. / side. And that's if you take your time. I used the Hylomar sealant with good results.
    1990 RRC, 3.9L, AUTO "Willow Pond" (Sold)
    1996 D1, 4.0L, AUTO "Lucas"
    1999 RR, 4.0L, AUTO "Belle" (Sold)

Yes you really do have to take just the top of the plenum chamber off. 6 bolts and disconnect the intake hose and top or air intake box. Disconnect a couple more hoses then fold it backwards upon itself. Watch out for the vacuum line for the fuel pressure valve.

Its a piece of cake to remove the fuel lines also and if you have not driven it for a few hours there will be no pressure. The return line can be a pain as the hose gets stuck on the plastic pipe.

You can do the job in about 1 hour. Make sure you get sealant underneath the screw heads also. I used a 5/16 12 point socket. I think 8 mm 12 point will work also.

Steve