Thread: A/C fan not working

Default A/C fan not working

I have a 97 Discovery I and the A/C - Heater Fan does not work. This started last winter and hto air come out of the vents but no blower. I replaced the resistor behind the dash that I read would fail but still no luck. For a little while the fan worked when on switch I and III but now it does not work at all.
    Any suggestions ? Is it dealer time ?

Thanks,

Bryan

Default A/C Not Working Part II

After reading some posts but suprsingly not getting any answers to mine, (I can't believe no one has had this problem and tried to solve it) I decided to replace the heater control unit as I read the slide switch can wear out.

Alas after 3 hours of work still no fan blowing, so I am thinking it is the blower motor.
    A couple of thoughts in case someone can help me. When I press the A/C button it does not light up but since it has been so long since it worked I can't remember if it is supposed to.

Any help on troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

97 Discovery 4.0 automatic

the ac button (snowflake) when depressed and with the blower setting on 1,2,3 or 4 should be illuminated.

Question

I'm having a similar problem with my heater fan cutting out. Heat will blow out but only on the 3 or 4 setting and then it cuts out after about 15 minutes. I wiggle the switch and it will come back on. Any suggestions? I thought that I should replace the switch itself or clean the contacts? It's been like this since last winter.

Default Bad Switch

I too have the same problem as RoverCat. My quick fix is quite an old remedy for older gearheads. I place a folded up piece of paper between the fascia and the switch and have had much success. This has worked all summer without incident.

I really need to replace the switch. Unfortunately the switch is part of the heater console and needs to be replaced as a unit. As a previous poster stated this will take time due to the entire center dash having to be removed.

As for the poster with the fan issues... I'm sure you checked all fuses including the box located under the bonnet. You can bench test the fan by removing it and placing positive and negative leads to the fan to see if it will operate. If not, you have a bad blower. The resister used to be a problem with the RRC not the D1 due to the fact it was located IFO the firewall under the cowl exposed to the elements.
    1990 RRC, 3.9L, AUTO "Willow Pond" (Sold)
    1996 D1, 4.0L, AUTO "Lucas"
    1999 RR, 4.0L, AUTO "Belle" (Sold)

Condensor fans are controled by a pressure switch in the compressure discharge. If the pressure is low ( short of gas ) or faulty switch the fans will not work.
    With ac running hold the discharge, it should be to hot to touch.
    The wires onto the switch are spade terminals, pull them of and link them together, if the fans run the fans are OK

Quote Originally Posted by bblake12
    I have a 97 Discovery I and the A/C - Heater Fan does not work. This started last winter and hto air come out of the vents but no blower. I replaced the resistor behind the dash that I read would fail but still no luck. For a little while the fan worked when on switch I and III but now it does not work at all.
    Any suggestions ? Is it dealer time ?

Thanks,

Bryan
    clean connection to your blower switch, may be loose or dirty.
    usually if its the resistor it will work on maybe one positional but not all as noted below..good luck

Quote Originally Posted by RoverCat
    I'm having a similar problem with my heater fan cutting out. Heat will blow out but only on the 3 or 4 setting and then it cuts out after about 15 minutes. I wiggle the switch and it will come back on. Any suggestions? I thought that I should replace the switch itself or clean the contacts? It's been like this since last winter.
    clean the connections or replace your switch..
    www.singingcamel.com

Default HVAC problems with 97' Discovery

Thanks for the suggestions, So up till now I have replaced the resistor behind the dash (the one down by the glove box) and replaced the entire heater control unit which includes the slide switch, the vent cables and so on. The fans/fans still do not work and before I replace the heater blower and tear the dash apart I am asking for any other fuse/relay type suggestions. The reason I supect an electrical problem is that the A/C indicator (snowflake) does not light up when depressed and this is a new heater control unit.
    I do not fully understand the entire electrical connections that make up the A/C/ Heater circuit so there might be a fuse/relay in the engine compartment that I am missing. I have checked the fuses on the dash and those are fine.

One question in short. If the heater blower is not working will that prevent the A/C light from lighting when the button is depressed ?

**Update - I checked this afternoon and the actual AC Fans in front of the radiator do come on when the A/C button is pressed but no light on the A/C switch, no air blowing from vents either heat nor air

Thanks,

Bryan Blake
    Last edited by bblake12; 10-12-2007 at 12:15 PM.