Thread: Transmission Oil Type

Default Transmission Oil Type

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I have an issue finding the recommended transmission oil type of 90W or 85W90. Can anyone recommend an alternate, more common oil type that I could use? This is for a 88" 1972 Series III 2.25L 4 cylinder.

Thanks!
    1972 Series III Frankenstein

Thanks, Andrew.
    1972 Series III Frankenstein

Quote Originally Posted by RoverKid_1972 View Post
    Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I have an issue finding the recommended transmission oil type of 90W or 85W90. Can anyone recommend an alternate, more common oil type that I could use? This is for a 88" 1972 Series III 2.25L 4 cylinder.

Thanks!
    Hi RoverKid:

Andrew makes a good suggestion. However, he lives in So. California and may be unaware of how conventional gear oil congeals in the cold.

Given that you live in MA you may want to consider using synthetic gear oil. Yes, it is considerably more expensive but unlike motor oil you don't change it very often. However, it lubricates much better, and unlike conventional gear lube it flows freely in cold weather.

GL4 gear oil is specified for our gearboxes because they contain bronze parts that are said to be harmed by the additives in GL5 oils.. Amsoil makes a synthetic GL4 gear oil, available at most NAPA stores.

(Note: I used Mobil1 GL5 gear oil in my IIA for over 25 years before switching to Amsoil GL4. No problems so far.....)

On a cold morning you will have smooth shifting right away and will avoid the drag caused by thickened 90W.

Regular gear oil has the consistency of rubber cement in cold weather; synthetic has almost no change at all.

Just my $0.02.

Ted