Thread: Rochester Carb. I Finally made the purchase. i'm going to try it!

Default Rochester Carb. I Finally made the purchase. i'm going to try it!

I just purchased a new 1BBL BV series Rochester with the 30.9mm Venturi Manual choke and 167 cfm body. It has a 52 jet in it. I've read and printed out TeriAnn Wakemans info. Thank you TeriAnn!!!!!!!!!! I took me a LONG LONG while but I finally got the courage to attempt to change my weber to this set up. The carb came from British Pacific originally and was carried as spare by a fella in California, It has not had fuel through it yet.

Anyhow, I need to understand the linkages! I'd like to mount it on the manifol and not use that 180 block that the weber sits on. I understand that I have to add on a longer arm so that the rover linkage can pull the BV linkage rather than push it.

Please can someone post pictures of their Rochester carburetor installed on thier Rig, so I can get ideas on that linkage. If I retain the 180 degree turn block for the weber, I believe the whole thing is going to sit too high but it seems the linkages could be easier to set up but I believe the top is going to foul my bonnet. I have the deluxe bonnet. My idea is to mount it close to the manifold like the old Solex, but I hope linkages wont foul the manifold or the manifold bolts.

Please post pictures - any help is appreciated!!!!! Especially detail shots of linkages. Right now I have a nice running rover with the weber and love driving it. Before I change things, I want to make sure I'm not without my rover in the middle of a science experiment!

Also any pictures of vacuum fittings and fuel inlet fittings would be super. Thank You again TeriAnn! Its your info on your website that really helped me. I've owned my Rover for 30 years and my Dad bought it new. It came with a Solex. I converted to a Weber back in 1991 and have gone through 3 webers since. I tried Zenith but had no luck with it running well. Probably due to the warpage issue. But I've always wanted to at least give the Rochester a go.

Thanks

Basil

I've had a rotchester on my series 3 for 35 yrs. but i do not recall having to do any special dog tricks with the linkage to make it work. I will try to get a photo up here.

Quote Originally Posted by jimrr View Post
    I've had a rochester on my series 3 for 35 yrs. but i do not recall having to do any special dog tricks with the linkage to make it work. I will try to get a photo up here.
    Thanks Low Range. Yesterday, I made a very nice plate that mounts on the Rochester -aka Rochey -carb to hold the choke cable. I felt great about it so I pulled off the weber and put the Rochester on to test how it might link up to Rover accelerator linkages. My results are as follows. First, I removed the block that spins the weber 90 degrees around, then I put Rochey on rover manifold. Theres a lip on the manifold just above the stock 1/2 inch block that sits on Rover manifold about 1/8 inch tall that fouls up a direct mount. This is no issue as I'll just buy the 1/4 inch rochester mounting gasket as TeriAnn recommends. But THOSE LINKAGES!! grr!!

How do I possibly not a make a mess of the stock Rover linkages? I may someday wish to go back to the weber so i dont want a hack job on my stock Rover linkages. Is there a linkage I should buy to convert my Rover? OK, so i gave up on that until I really understand what someone else did here.

So next, I put the converter block back on, now the linkages would be easy; just put an arm on the Rochey linkage and then it will work with the stock Rover linkages- at least from what I can tell. BUT....... now the Rochester sits very high! when I put air cleaner pipe on it, it fouls the deluxe bonnet. Sure, I suppose I could hack up the air cleaner elbow to gain some clearance. but it just doesn't seem right with the thing sitting that high. So I put the weber back on for now until I find the right solution. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel here. Someone must have a nice solution to mount the Rochester low to the manifold with linkages parallel to the fender and still able to use most of the original land rover linkages.

Any photos or ideas how to keep the Rochester low with out using that 90 degree block as weber does, would be super! If I have to buy another Rover linkage and cut it up, that may be what I need? Is there anyone who has a pre-made solution to sell me? Anyhow, I've a Rochester BV that hasn't had fuel through it since British Pacific remanufactured it with a 52 jet. I'll also note that on the throttle body, the throttle shaft has just some ever so slight play. Would this be an issue with a vaccumm leak? I know when Webers do this they can have problems. I tried to suck air right around the shaft end and I can pull a little air through. the carb is spotless clean and I'd imagine it's fine - I paid 260 dollars for it from Nick Bagley at Drive Around the World. If someone thinks that this throttle body shaft play will cause a vaccumm issue, please let me know as I'll just cut my losses here. Then maybe I'll bring it to the Metal Dash event to see what people think.

For now I have running rover with the weber. I pulled a plug and it looked just a tad on the lean side with not much brownish deposits but some white deposits and no black at all on tip and porcelin. My hope ws that the Rochester might give just a tad bit more power.