Thread: Newbie. Series IIa 1967, warn hub leaking

Default Newbie. Series IIa 1967, warn hub leaking

Hi everyone
    I’m new to the LR world. Got myself a 67 few months ago and love it. Am trying to learn as I go and I try to do as much as possible myself but will probably come to this forum with many newbie questions so bear with me please.
    The right warn hub is leaking. How do I address that? Have been trying to find the right repair kit for it but don’t know exactly which model this warn is. I have included a picture. There is also a leak in the back of the wheel so I am going to do a swivel overhaul and change the seal there etc.
    thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9EA58B0B-34D0-4358-84C2-05C753331A66.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	13304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	283ED309-9399-4588-98DE-6E4DEB3AF534.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	13305  

With the oil getting on the wheel I don't think it's the Warn hub that's doing it. I'd start with part #38 in this picture: https://www.roversnorth.com/category...iii_drivetrain

I rebuilt my Warn hubs with new O-rings but don't recall where I got them. Perhaps here: https://pangolin4x4.com/item/645

Quote Originally Posted by erik88lr View Post
    With the oil getting on the wheel I don't think it's the Warn hub that's doing it. I'd start with part #38 in this picture: https://www.roversnorth.com/category...iii_drivetrain

I rebuilt my Warn hubs with new O-rings but don't recall where I got them. Perhaps here: https://pangolin4x4.com/item/645
    thanks for the reply and the links! have ordered the seal (part 38) so will replace that. The reason I thought the oil is leaking from the warn hub is that I’ve seen it dripping from the front of it. I’ll order the o rings and replace those as well. A very stupid question: when I’m done replacing all the seals and putting everything back , do I need to refill the swivel with oil/ grease and in that case what kind? As I mentioned, I’m planning to take everything of and replace all the seals since it’s also leaking from the back of it, on to the back of the wheel. I’m also going to measure the preload with the swivel shims etc since there is some wobble in the steering wheel when going over road imperfections .
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by althedoc View Post
    thanks for the reply and the links! have ordered the seal (part 38) so will replace that. The reason I thought the oil is leaking from the warn hub is that I’ve seen it dripping from the front of it. I’ll order the o rings and replace those as well. A very stupid question: when I’m done replacing all the seals and putting everything back , do I need to refill the swivel with oil/ grease and in that case what kind? As I mentioned, I’m planning to take everything of and replace all the seals since it’s also leaking from the back of it, on to the back of the wheel. I’m also going to measure the preload with the swivel shims etc since there is some wobble in the steering wheel when going over road imperfections .
    thanks
    I'd check/refill the swivel ball housing using gear oil.

Quote Originally Posted by erik88lr View Post
    I'd check/refill the swivel ball housing using gear oil.
    also,,,,check and possibly clean the air breather brass little breather plugs on top of the axle housing, looks like a small fire hydrent or train whistle that needs to be clean for the axle to "breathe" if clogged sometimes oil looks for a place to come out, at the ends,,,,

I think you have the classic hub seal failure. You can replace part #38, but it won't stop the leak unless you also replace the seal itself (#30) and probably also the press-fit doohickey it rides on (#29). Tell Rovers North you want a hub seal kit and they'll send you all the other perishable parts, like the felt washer, etc, at the same time. It's not a bad job, but you should get used to it as it is a common one on old Rovers.

The grease that you see on your wheel is from the axle housing, not the swivel. The swivel grease will leak out around the chrome swivel ball and can be seen dripping down onto the sidewall of your tire on the inside.

Good luck,

Myron

cedryk is right, ensure that breather (& rear axle) is clear or you may 'blow a seal'. also: turn your hubs in once in a while as it is the ONLY way those railco bushes on the top of the swivel get any oil on them It may be your rover hasn't had the front hubs engaged for a long time and the bushes are suffering wear.

Thanks everyone! Will try the above and see