Thread: When did the dash change in the series II/IIa? Ignition switch problem

Default When did the dash change in the series II/IIa? Ignition switch problem

So mine is registered as 1967, was made in January 1966 according to the certificate from British automobile museum. I have included the dash picture here. Is this the correct dash layout? When did the series change to toggle switches?
    Now the issue: I took out the dash to clean it out , change the glass of speedometer, put everything back but had the unit still dangling down so to say, connected the battery back to test all the lights and after couple of attempts my ignition switch stopped working. Now everything is dead. I checked the wires, power still comes to the unit but nothing happens when I turn the key. Did I short it? Should I start looking for a new ignition switch?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by althedoc; 05-15-2020 at 09:44 AM.

Ok. I took the ignition switch apart and found the problem. One of the tabs of the barrel itself is broken, see picture. Anybody can help me source one of these barrels please? I've looked online but can't find it. Its actually not the key barrel itself but the holder that barrel sits in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6447.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	13321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6448.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	13322  

Not sure you can buy that piece separately, but here's the switch minus the knob: https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/pl...ries_early_iia

The dash changed over in 1967 when they went to negative earth and a single dash mounted wiper motor. Yours is correct.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Thank you!

Actually you can be glad your switch failed like this. Mine failed gradually, and would cut out intermittently when driving. It's been long enough ago that I don't remember the trick for replacing the tumbler part. I want to say there's some little release button thingamajig.

Good luck,

Myron

Quote Originally Posted by jp- View Post
    The dash changed over in 1967 when they went to negative earth and a single dash mounted wiper motor. Yours is correct.
    IIRC that's also why the dash panels went from body color to black: to indicate negative earth.