Thread: Mounting rear seat belts_Series 3

Default Mounting rear seat belts_Series 3

I have completely disassembled the rear tub of my 73 88". The bed rails are off and look ok but the forward brackets on each side that appear to be used to mount seat belts are significantly rusted through. I have two questions:
    1. Are these required for anything other than seat belts? Meaning, if I decide to not replace them am I compromising anything other than rear seating safety? (I know I will have rivet holes to deal with)
    2. Can they be sourced or do they have to be repaired or made from scratch?

Thanks
    Jack

Hi Jack,

I used a S3 tub to build my IIA and had the same brackets. I think these were required by US regulations, but had the unfortunate consequence of dissimilar metal corrosion between them and the birmabright tub. I put rear seat belts in my tub using very large, very thick, fender washers. Let's face it, nothing you do is going to make a Series Land Rover into a MB S-class safety-wise, so my goal is to just keep the occasional rider back there from being bounced out.

I think still have my brackets somewhere. I haven't looked at them for probably 12 years but I recall they were in decent-ish condition. You can have them if you want them for the cost of postage (and assuming I can find them).

Good luck,

Myron

Hi Myron

Thanks very much for the info, ideas and offer. I took my rotted bracket to a local shop and he made a couple up for short $. This will keep me close to original and with a story to tell. I really appreciate the offer though.

Quote Originally Posted by jpetropoulos View Post
    Hi Myron

Thanks very much for the info, ideas and offer. I took my rotted bracket to a local shop and he made a couple up for short $. This will keep me close to original and with a story to tell. I really appreciate the offer though.
    Hello Jack:

It's always nice to read of someone going the extra mile to keep things original. Per Myron's comments above, don't forget to properly insulate any mating surfaces between the aluminum and steel to prevent galvanic corrosion.

Ted