Thread: squeaking new Brakes! Driving me crazy!

Default squeaking new Brakes! Driving me crazy!

Hi everyone
    have a 66, 2A 88. Just replaced all the pads. Really horrible squeaking when getting warm. Checked for oil but looks dry. Any advice?

That's a tough one. Could be that you glazed the new brake linings. You might try cleaning the friction surface and the inside of the drums with some 100 grit sandpaper. In all honesty, my brakes squeal too, and I have learned to ignore it, just push harder or less hard on the brake pedal to lessen the noise as I come to a stop.

I think all series land rover drum brakes have at least a very minor squeal, but mine have never been like what you describe @althedoc.

I had a 2010 VW Jetta wagon that used to squeal like mad. People would turn around and look it was so bad, and it never went away. Dealer declined any responsibility, and it was just one of many things I hated about the car so I sold it. One year later VW was busted for cheating on their diesel emissions and the person I sold it to got a check for $10K.

Moral of the story? Beats me.